RS133 / Wind 1.6 K4M cams

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work! Really looking forward to seeing the results!
Haven't read through the whole thread but I would be interested to know the profile of the cams and how much valve clearance there was with the standard cams?
These cams along with some oversized valves and porting and I would expect some pretty decent gains!

CamEn1":ztgtmmsr said:
Great work! Really looking forward to seeing the results!
Haven't read through the whole thread but I would be interested to know the profile of the cams and how much valve clearance there was with the standard cams?
I still want to know too. Hopefully theres enough clearance without needing piston cuttouts
:shock:

These cams along with some oversized valves and porting and I would expect some pretty decent gains!
I was prepared to fit oversize valves, but apparently the standard ones are large enough for 180+.

They just need some chamber work and three angle seats to get them flowing better. The port size on the inlet needs opening out and work around the short radius and throat. I'm not opening the ports out too much as I want to keep the mid range torque

Exhaust port has a boss around the valve guide which protrudes a lot, so this is being reduced.

I still want to know too. Hopefully theres enough clearance without needing piston cuttouts
:shock:

I was prepared to fit oversize valves, but apparently the standard ones are large enough for 180+.

They just need some chamber work and three angle seats to get them flowing better. The port size on the inlet needs opening out and work around the short radius and throat. I'm not opening the ports out too much as I want to keep the mid range torque

Exhaust port has a boss around the valve guide which protrudes a lot, so this is being reduced.

Any idea how much more lift there is with the new cams? Might need to Machine some deeper pockets in the piston... If theres enough material in the piston crown that is!?!

I would be impressed if 180 is achieved with the standard valves.. How much work will you do to the chamber? Just a thought, but I would keep an eye on the compression ratio if your removing much material from the chamber and/if your machining pockets in the pistons...

I need to look at the head in a bit more detail before I can comment too much.. I would like to know how much material there is before the water jacket on the inlet ports and how good the standard seats are?

Very interesting project mate, will be keeping a close eye on it! Would love to get hold of a head myself!
Depending on what angles you want on the seats I might be able to help, give me a shout if needs be...

For anyone wanting to know the profile specs for the original cams ant the new profiles
Specs are:

A/ STD specs:
- intake: 254°@0.1mm / 213°@1.0mm / 10.65mm (5.40mm)
- exhaust: 250°@0.1mm / 201°@1.0mm / 7.95mm (4.00mm)

B/ stage1 (5504701):
- intake: 261°@0.1mm / 223°@1.0mm / 11.25mm (5.69mm)
- ehxaust: 241°@0.1mm / 203°@1.0mm / 9.25mm (4.68mm)
- intended for factory or mapped ECU
- runs on std cam followers and valve springs

C/ stage2 (5504702):
- intake: 265°@0.1mm / 227°@1.0mm / 11.50mm (5.81mm)
- ehxaust: 249°@0.1mm / 211°@1.0mm / 10.25mm (5.18mm)
- intended for mapped ECU
- runs on std cam followers and valve springs

Regards

Matt
Catcams N.V.
UK Sales & Technical Representative
www.catcams.co.uk

Which makes the original RS133 cams look fairly wild when compared to the 5502702, 703, 704 series upgraded camshafts for the earlier k4m-700 series engines :shock:

:lol: I have the 5502704 in mine and they are still not so wild as the twingo rs OEM ones regarding duration and valve lift, but the result is quite better... :mrgreen:

But the other question is how are they regarding peak angle, timing and lift at TDC. ;)

Im interested in making my Twingo a little quicker but what sort of gains can be expected and are they safe? Is any other work required other than a re-map? How much in comparison to an engine conversion?

Being N/A, theres no cheap gains to be had. An engine swap would probably been more viable on a BHP/£ basis.
To go with this cam thread, theres also two others which kind of tie together for the power upgrades

https://www.twingo133.net/engine-gearbox-exhaust-air-intake-system/new-tec-manifold-t6317.html
https://www.twingo133.net/engine-ge...ke-system/rs133-cylinder-head-work-t6078.html

and my progress thread
https://www.twingo133.net/projects-progress-threads/renaultsport-gordini-159-t1816.html

Yeah, you could just change the cams to the stage1 profiles and see some gain when properly mapped, but as yet we don't know what the gain would be on an otherwise standard car.

Im thinking maybe just an exhaust and panel filter and let you guys on here do the hard work and then i'll go on kam racing or ktec or similar in a few years when its all been tried and tested!

Speaking of...why is it so hard to find power upgrades when the R2 rally cars have 160bhp?

JoeRS133":382xynrt said:
Im thinking maybe just an exhaust and panel filter and let you guys on here do the hard work and then i'll go on kam racing or ktec or similar in a few years when its all been tried and tested!

Speaking of...why is it so hard to find power upgrades when the R2 rally cars have 160bhp?
Price up an R2 exhaust system :shock:
Cams are different and without the VVC. Also needs the Magnetti ECU or better

Its a hydro-mechanical dephaser pulley that advances the timing on the inlet cam. Its operated by an ECU controlled solenoid valve which opens and allows oil pressure through into the pulley, which then rotates the belt drive teeth relative to the center shaft.

Toyota had a system which was the same VVT
Hondas original VTEC used additional aggresive cam lobes and lockable cam followers to give higher top end power output

JoeRS133":7e6mrw65 said:

it's easy to get 160hp with cam

but cam you loose lower rev power generaly

like the ktec one

so it's a just a choice nothing difficult

it became difficult when you want to reach 190 - 220 hp

or to reach 160hp without loosing de mid - low power

To be honest witb a Twingo i'd be happy with a reliable real 150-160bhp.

Didnt Yotah only make 139 bhp with remap and exhaust?

Also are ktec still having problems with their air filters?

JoeRS133":2q6ewj9v said:
Didnt Yotah only make 139 bhp with remap and exhaust?

Also are ktec still having problems with their air filters?
I'm not sure if Yotah has had a remap since fitting his manifold to make a full decat system. He did post noise levels though.

I haven't heard of any of k-tecs filters breaking up for a long while... But nearly everyone goes bmc or green for a replacement panel.