Twingo133.net Folding@Home Team!!!!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weebob":33zmu29m said:
Leanne":33zmu29m said:
haha yes that is some 1000th post!

I have read through the whole post and I must say I have no actual idea what it is :?

How does a computer program help understand protein folding??

Install the client and join in, or is your puny girly computer not up to it ;)

Joking apart. Dr Drew put the point of folding@home into a cocked hat very well.

Get the client installed, all the cool kids are doing it.

Puny!! Girly!! OMG!!! lol

Sorry I just wanted a better understanding as this sort of thing interests me.
Like what does the program actually monitor? And what information does it collate to give a result on protein folding?

Leanne":279282kr said:
weebob":279282kr said:
Leanne":279282kr said:

I have read through the whole post and I must say I have no actual idea what it is :?

Joking apart. Dr Drew put the point of folding@home into a cocked hat very well.

Like what does the program actually monitor? And what information does it collate to give a result on protein folding?

If you want to know what research they're doing - if you read up on their back papers you might get a clue https://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers

But to be honest - being in the research world myself you tend to not really tell other people what you're currently doing as much as possible to stop someone else nicking your work before you can publish. In this case it might be slightly different as they're distributing the simulation workload - but they'll probably still be as guarded as possible with regard to the unique bits they're looking for.

Edit: The only sensors it will monitor on your actual pc will be to do with your current processor workload, and probably RAM and pagefile usage so that it doesn't interrupt you trying to use your computer. It will just receive a chunk of code & data to run through from a remote server - and when your PC has finished crunching through it, it will send the results back and request the next bit.

Leanne":nclngmtc said:
weebob":nclngmtc said:
Leanne":nclngmtc said:

Hers a site thats goes some way to explaining the science behind it, bit basic though.

https://folding.stanford.edu/English/Science

The crux is to find how and why proteins fold, and hopefully to what happens when they go wrong.

PS3 related for any PS3 owners but also a good explanation vid of folding.

[youtube]pJtfcscQy9k[/youtube]

So thats my PS3 working an can see progress, but my Laptop, it doesnt show anything :-/ just the folding@home in preferences!

jra3d":1qrgmo2y said:
So thats my PS3 working an can see progress, but my Laptop, it doesnt show anything :-/ just the folding@home in preferences!
Where do you mean? Have you got a screen shot?

jra3d":ncpcp3ui said:
It's just up dated fella, your on the teams page.

We are now 52040 out of 203991 teams.

Looking at the list there are a few inactive teams between us and the top 500, and more importantly Renault forums. So we should jump up the leader board quite quickly.

jra3d":oae8j34p said:
Yeah I'll get one soon my ps3 shows processed progress and my mac doesn't...
Sorry I don't know anything about the mac client. On the windows one if you hover the curser over the tray icon it's tells you what your doing. Or if you bring up the display (dependant on the version you have as some don't have this) you get the full graphic showing everything. Sorry to be of little help.

hmm, well the PS3 has done one and this is the only screen i can find:

foldinghome.jpg

Sorted it i'm now running a console script and it shows my progress of 10%

For all of you who worry it will slow your computer down it really doesn't i'm currently listening to music, 6 different webpages open, including facebook chat and its fine