Suspension Lower Balljoint Rubbers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrDrew":1p3c2fpu said:
singlespeed":1p3c2fpu said:
I noticed yesterday that my near side lower ball joint boot has split. I wonder if its going to be covered being as the springs went on 3k ago.

Given how common the problem is, even with all us on the standard suspension set up, it's at least worth a chat with your local friendly dealer. I know mine had seen it frequently enough that they've been raising it with RUK over time.
thats what i'm thinking. It's not as if its never happened before :(

I did mine recently (out of warranty). Karl got me the arms and I got a local garage to fit them. All seems OK to me, plus a shedload cheaper than my local Ren dealer wanted.

Mines 14 months and 15500 miles.
7319538186_7643cfd2b0_z_d.jpg

7319539292_dc33cabccb_z_d.jpg

whereas this is just under two years old and 4300 miles, yet still has perisher rubber
7319540566_2ebc4905db_c_d.jpg

7319541688_6c734501d6_c_d.jpg

maggi112":r16w7vj3 said:
How much for parts?
Hopefully nothing :?

I have found the website for the manufacturer so will be looking into the posibility of just replacing the ball joint which would hopefully keep the cost down for anyone that is out of waranty

I got mine off Karl for £274.83 all in. Fitted locally for £40 each side. That's for complete lower arms.

maggi112":1ccclfpl said:
That's a joke! We need to sort them out individually.

Neil....
I've just asked Fabio if he could enquire as its an Italian company. That may make any language issues less tricky ;)

Just had my 2 year service and they told me mine needs the arms replacing. They're doing it at the end of the month under warranty.

The mechanic said it's a common fault because when they stiffen the suspension they don't put stiffer arms on, so over time they bend.

Hi Guys...first post...

I had both front suspension arms changed in February. The car was out of warranty with only 20k miles. Renault UK covered all costs after I called to complain. Worth speaking to them first for anyone in a similar situation to me.

Greg133":2jlj41pd said:
Hi Guys...first post...

I had both front suspension arms changed in February. The car was out of warranty with only 20k miles. Renault UK covered all costs after I called to complain. Worth speaking to them first for anyone in a similar situation to me.
It took a while, but it was a worthy first post and must show that RUK accept theres issues with the the balljoint boots.

Welcome :D

Greg133":2ffnjxul said:
Hi Guys...first post...

You just made my weekend! :( :oops:

class31":28ddt921 said:
Greg133":28ddt921 said:
Hi Guys...first post...

You just made my weekend! :( :oops:

Sorry, I didn't see this thread when i had the issue otherwise I would have updated earlier!!

Thanks to Singlespeed for the merge :cool:

This seems to be a regular issue - why aren't Renault doing a recall? :idea:

Also, if they go at around 2 years, will we have the same problem 2 years after the replacement? Probably not an issue for those that keep a car less than 4 years, but the subsequent owners ain't gonna be happy... :(

My Dini is in the dealers and both of the lower arms are going to be changed under warranty. Even having the Apex springs on wasn't an issue. It would have been done today but they were short of two nuts which are coming up tomorrow morning.

I beleive the official line of RUK is the arms will be replaced if the boots are split and theres wear in the balljoint. Split boots would have just been a check and replace in the future, however I argued that any future wear would be detremental to my tyres and I questioned wether they would also replace my tyres due to uneven wear. Mine were starting to show some play and also, split boots are an MOT fail so should be road worthy.

Both lower arms were replaced yesterday under waranty and the knocking noise which I was begining to think was the strut tops, have vanished :)

Unfortunately the old arms are going back to Renault, so I couldn't have one of them to try getting the balljoint out. However, if theres an accident damaged one comes through, then I should be getting a call. It looks like the balljoint is screwed into the arm, so replacement should be possible if I (we) can get a part number or spec.

With the rate that they're going, that would seem to be a good part for an alternative manufacturer to make, if it's not possible to get the small part straight from Renault.