Suspension Lower Balljoint Rubbers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, dug this thread out instead of starting a new one!
Just had 2 tyres fitted today and got the car up on the lift at the garage to find out where my exhaust was blowing (K-Tech cat back, s**t quality!). While I was under the car I noticed the ball joint rubbers looked f****d exactly the same as the pics above! They will both need replacing and it would explain why the steering has been feeling a bit on the light side recently!
Anyone have an idea of how much this is gona set me back?

I presume since you're asking how much you're out of warranty?

Might be a bit unfortunately as they have to replace the complete lower arms rather than just the ball joints.

Might be worth checking to see if you can get a good deal off Karl for the parts.

I'm sure the joints could be replaced with new ones into the original control arms, as they look vey much like the ones shown here>>
https://www.trw.com/sub_system/ball_joints

Renault (and most car manufacturers) don't repair parts, they just replace the assembly. Finding a replacement should be possible if anyone can get a balljoint pressed out and measured

Cheers guys, the cars 2 and a half years old so it's out of warranty, im just going to have to swallow the cost. Will PM karl and find out exactly what im looking at. Thanks again.

CamEn1":1xg654tc said:
Cheers guys, the cars 2 and a half years old so it's out of warranty, im just going to have to swallow the cost. Will PM karl and find out exactly what im looking at. Thanks again.

Standard warranty is 3 years :? Should still be covered if you haven't changed lots of suspension parts, and even then still maybe at least a contribution.

DrDrew":1rwvwvlm said:
CamEn1":1rwvwvlm said:

Standard warranty is 3 years :? Should still be covered if you haven't changed lots of suspension parts, and even then still maybe at least a contribution.

Is it? Blimey, why am I thinking its only 2 years!?

Well if thats the case I better get along to Renault!

Cheers!

Got the same on mine last inspection, but mine's 3 1/2 years old. BOOOOO!!! I'll ring up tomorrow and see what they say.

I think at the Wind forums someone mentioned that they also had this problem (and referred to a topic here)

But I'm a littel afraid of this too.

Sometimes when I'm turning (full wheel lock) I hear a knocking noise. It's just once, it's only on full lock but not every time though..

I've only had my car a year and when putting my new alloys on my partner notice this has worn away not failed yet but I won't take it to the dealer as the Renault near me are idiots can you just buy the rubber or do you have to replace the lot

Give Karl a ring he can sort it out for u. If the car is still under warranty then take it back to reno

When I had mine done under warranty, the whole lower arms had to be replaced. Might be quite expensive to do it yourself

Which dealer is it you use? Wonder if any of our north west members can recommend a dealer to you?

It's still under warranty I use the Warrington dealer on in Westbrook but they are useless my fella can fit the parts he's a mechanic so it's not a problem with fitting

If anyone can recommend a good main dealer in the north west i just don't want to take it to someone who doesn't care and it get damage in there care

I used chester renault once, very good service and the car came back washed. All paper work filled out correctly (service sheet, safety check etc ) even upgraded me to a laguna courtesy car as I was going to ikea.

This was two years ago as I've moved away now - but they are worth a shot.

Chester renault, sealand road - lookers franchise.

I noticed yesterday that my near side lower ball joint boot has split. I wonder if its going to be covered being as the springs went on 3k ago.

singlespeed":2jlj0bmv said:
I noticed yesterday that my near side lower ball joint boot has split. I wonder if its going to be covered being as the springs went on 3k ago.

Given how common the problem is, even with all us on the standard suspension set up, it's at least worth a chat with your local friendly dealer. I know my dealer had seen it frequently enough that they've been raising it with RUK over time.