Yotah´s RS Cup "Nurburgring Edition" -> 204hp F4R832 swap.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few recent shots of the car :

11219709_10208153785815950_976048511528535910_n.jpg

12193459_10208153782215860_663062805515540369_n.jpg

12065960_10208153782375864_2373327855894254758_n.jpg

11218892_10208153782615870_817701686614708009_n.jpg

12065872_10208153782855876_2507728622248609524_n.jpg

12208608_10208153783015880_8450262796960407222_n.jpg

12190051_10208153784495917_8574328582096192525_n.jpg

Just read through 71 pages of this thread, probably the best car thread i've ever read! What an amazing car and amazing driver. Excellent stuff! :D

Thx a lot.

Sadly i won't bring the car to US. Happily, this means i'll be at the Ring before the N24 to track it. I'll do a bit of work on it too, and then switch to a Twingo R2 shell next winter.

I mostly need to figure out how to cool down my power steering motor which overheats after 2 laps on the Nurburgring due to the semi slicks and the lsd in the gearbox.

The R2 Twingos have a oil cooled power steering but that means switching over to their steering column, not an option for me. So if anybody has ideas??

Hi Anthony!

I haven't introduced myself here properly (wil do this later on) but my name is Carsten and i'm having the same problem with my twingo when tracking it
on small bendy racetracks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, this is very annoying when on track.

I've been looking for a solution since a long time and the only thing that i found that could work is a controller for the EPAS electric steering that wil manually
control the amount of the EPAS powersteering. In a race/track situation it can be dialed down or off.

There is a guy on ebay who sells these controllers on ebay (dude from portugal), if you look for: 'Renault Clio 2 - Electric power steering controller box - ECU plug - EPAS RALLY' you will find it. Maybe he can modify this controller for a twingo.

I'm glad i'm not the only one having this problem because nobody else (accept you Anthony) seems to have this problem.
Please let me know if you contacted that guy or have a solution for this.

Greetings from Holland!

I just mailed this guy in Portugal and he says that he can't develop a EPAS controller for the Twingo... :-(
Maybe somebody knows someone who can build such a controller?

Other alternative would be to install an On/Off switch, so on-track no power steering and off-track with.
That would be fine for me but i don't know if that would work for you...

Not a solution either. i've lapped the Ring without power steering, my arms and shoulders gave up after 5 laps. The large semi slicks and the LSD just make it a very painful thing to keep on track.

the best thing I can think of right now is to fit an aluminium or copper heatsink on it to dissipate more heat...

Anthony, another question from Holland. Wich braking disks are you using? And where did you order the brackets for the brembo calipers? And if you know the price then i am interested. Maybe i will make them myself but then i have to draw them from scratch....

Hope you can help!

My dad is going to take some measurements on the car for the power steering motor so i can figure out a heatsink setup for it. I'll keep you updated for that.

I'm also ordering the Ktec harness bar to use it this year as I need a better camera support setup and it will stiffen the car a bit while setting up the harnesses in a much better position. I will put it up for sale though at the end of the season as i'll switch over to a Twingo R2 caged shell.

I'm bringing the car to the Nurburgring in May and will track it at Spa on the 30th during the MLR trackday. Then the rest of the week I'll track it on the Nordschleife and leave it there for the summer (a friend of mine will drive it this season).

New brake cooling ducts going in too, as well as looking into Dunlop Direzza 03G tires for the rest of the season once my Avon ZZr will be dead, but the overall diameter is 1" bigger so I might run into some rubbing issues...
The rest of it will remain this way for this season and then I'll track it with the new caged shell for the next couple of years or so, and it will go back in the garage for a "stage 4" setup with more power, wider track, carbon panels, etc. But that's a whole other story which will keep me busy for at least 2 years of building but I need to know whether I'll be coming back to Europe or staying permanently in the US before I start that new build.

Ok, great. I'm also looking in to the heatsink subject, best thing would be to also have some kind of
airflow to dissipate the heat between the fins/ribs of the heatsink.

I've found something interesting that is used to cool down electrical motors of RC cars, (see photo)
but the problem is that the power steering motor is too big (98x75mm) for these heatsinks and probably
there is not enough space to fit something like this

heatsink.jpg

The Length+width measurement is from the motor of the power steering.
The link you provided is for a heatsink that fits a motor that has a width of 34mm. So it is way to small but thanks anyways.

A lot of small heatsinks, like 10x10x10mm pieces could be done but a big heatsink with attached 12v Fan would be perfect.
Like i said before these heatsinks + Fans don't come in big sizes but maybe Anthony finds a big heatsink with Fan in
the USA as they have everything bigger there... ;-)

Wiechers half cage with cross bar, h bar and harness bar ordered. It should be delivered just in time for my Spa + Ring tracktime in june.

I've also sorted out my new intake pipe and brake cooling pipes. I'll also update the rear alignment on the wheels and might need to order a set of new tires in case I go through the Avons too fast (which will surely happen!!!)