Hello!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EY10YUR_":322p5csk said:
Has anyone got any recommendations as regards headlight bulbs?
Can't help but notice how dim the standard ones are >.<
Osram Night breaker Plus (Or, whatever the latest ones are)

EY10YUR_":26ijyk81 said:
Has anyone got any recommendations as regards headlight bulbs?
Can't help but notice how dim the standard ones are >.<

Osram Nightbreaker

You'll find most people here swear by them me included

Cheers guys!
Probably a stupid question, but are they legal?
I had some super bright ones in my old car and was told by a mechanic friend that technically they were illegal :/

EY10YUR_":1slw8xaq said:
The only Twingo's i've seen have all been standard ones, I saw one GT the other day bit I've yet to see another Renaultsport.
You may have Zoe, I'm always out and about in it :)
Where do you think you've seen me?
Sweet Clio by the way, I'll have to keep an eye out for you too!

Stockport way i think maybe? Dont know whether thats you. And yeah do keep and eye out, cant miss me haha

EY10YUR_":1m5y7wgu said:
Cheers guys!
I had some super bright ones in my old car and was told by a mechanic friend that technically they were illegal :/

Yes they are, best legal bulbs you can buy

Universe":1entc0j7 said:
EY10YUR_":1entc0j7 said:
Cheers guys!

Yes they are, best legal bulbs you can buy
The Night breakers are 55/60watt bulbs and amongst the brightest for the power whilst being E marked and legal.

80/100watt bulbs will probably be brighter but should be for offroad use only

Interesting comments.
With the shorter days i've also noticed the Twingo headlamps, especially dipped beam, aren't up to much. I've found using the front fogs improves things considerably but it shouldn't be necessary. Have invested in some Os N/breakers and hope they cure this niggle when fitted.

sandy55":2nok8k6u said:
Interesting comments.
With the shorter days i've also noticed the Twingo headlamps, especially dipped beam, aren't up to much. I've found using the front fogs improves things considerably but it shouldn't be necessary. Have invested in some Os N/breakers and hope they cure this niggle when fitted.
having your front fogs on when its not fogy could earn you a fixed penalty notice unless your switching them off when passing traffic. The beam has very little direction so the amount of dazzle for on coming traffic means they shouldn't be used. Although, your more likely to go to main beam than switching the fogs on/off :?

Ive wired in a relay so the front fogs come on with my main beam, which is great for the dark backroads round here

:wtf: Thanks for that Neil, i wasn't aware of that though i did suspect that i might be in breach of one legislation or another.
When i first tried it, i did do the ubiquitous 'wall' test and found that, although the light spread from the fogs is significantly wider than the h/lamps, it was no higher, being mainly concentrated fairly close to the front of the car as would be suitable for foggy conditions. This, of course, would in no way placate our fine Officers of the Highway Patrol or avoid a formal contribution to the Yuletide Policemans' ball, so let's hope the nightbreakers improve things.

It was a long time ago, but I have been done once in my old MR2. It was late at night and foggy coming over the moors and I had put the foggs on and switched the headlights off as there was too much glare from the 100 or 120watt bulbs that I had in (yes, these would have been illegal too). But it wasn't foggy when i passed a parked police car in the next village and I ended up with a fixed penalty

Yep, 'fraid that sounds about right for the more pedantic in the Plod. Not, however, if you were still driving without h/lights. Was once stopped on a m/bike for no lights by a more civic-minded member of the Constabulary. He gave me their standard ''don't want to be the one to scrape you off the road'' speech and sent me on my way. Decent guy.

OK, Nightbreakers fitted.
When testing the lamps (engine OFF) there was a distinct electrical buzz/whine from somewhere in the engine bay which stopped when lights were switched off. Can anyone confirm/refute that this is normal ??

sandy55":2ftje2kl said:
OK, Nightbreakers fitted.
When testing the lamps (engine OFF) there was a distinct electrical buzz/whine from somewhere in the engine bay which stopped when lights were switched off. Can anyone confirm/refute that this is normal ??
Definitely not normal :? Unless it was coincidence that your switching the lights off coincided with something else switching off on a timed circuit

Disconnect the connectors and try the lights again. obviously they wont light up but see if your noise still occurs. Reconnect them one side at a time to try and isolate the noise

Thanks for that Neil.

Have just been out to check my actions and the buzz/whine occurs when the ignition is on (ie 2nd position before starting engine, dash and speedo lit)) NOT just when the lights are switched on (my panicy boo-boo...)

Does this narrow any potential probs down ?

sandy55":1nilmrgp said:
Thanks for that Neil.

Have just been out to check my actions and the buzz/whine occurs when the ignition is on (ie 2nd position before starting engine, dash and speedo lit)) NOT just when the lights are switched on (my panicy boo-boo...)

Does this narrow any potential probs down ?

Car does that anyway, lol

Thanks for that Universe. Anyone else experienced this ?

I stand to be corrected Hrabroslav, but i think the fuel pump is under the floor at the back of the cabin ?

Uh I missed that you located the sound in the engine bay.

I just always thought that whining noise when you turn on ignition (I can't really tell from which direction it is coming when I'm sitting in the car) is the fuel pump.