vinyl wrapping

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotth133

Reaction score
Hi guys should be vinyl wrapping my reg recess this weekend. Never wrapped before just want to know how to do it really. And if its hard at all?.

its not hard, just take your time and start from one end and work way acroos, this will reduce the risk of bubbles (just dont try and stick it all down in one go), if u do get a bubble though, dont worry, just stab teh centre of it with sharp scapel blade and push the bubble edged to teh centre (and the small hole just made) and it will go.

thats it really

make sure it's clean first. Any spots of grit or dead flies will leave small bumps

Isn't it easier heating it as you go along with a heat gun or hair dryer and using an applicator thingy or bank card to smooth it down?

That way if you get a bubble or crease you could lift it back up and stick it again, I'd borrow a friend to heat it up whilst I place it, this is what we did when putting a sticker bomb vinyl on my old petrol cap on the shedKA and numberplate area!

The heat will make for easier application however it will also make the vinyl very 'floppy' so it can become quite tricky.

You can clean the area with a degreaser such as sugar soap first to ensure the area is clear of contaminants and give it a dry. Apply a small amount of soapy water to the area and then you can move the vinyl about and/or lift it to remove bubbles. When happy with the position you simply heat the vinyl and use a squeegee to remove the air/water under the vinyl. Combined with the heat this shouldn't take long and it will adhere properly when the water is pushed out the edges.

Best bet would be to look on YouTube for vinyl wrapping examples to see their techniques. Wrapping larger things looks easier but is actually harder to do - the pros make it look too easy!

Another thing to bear in mind is the type of vinyl used. A cast vinyl which is designed for wrapping will do the job perfectly but calendared vinyl is prone to tearing when stretched and can't take the abuse when applying so well.... You shouldn't encounter any problems with the reg area though. Once applied though you'll have identical results.

Been thinking about wrapping the front/back Renault logo white and the details on top of the booth (2 chrome shelves) but I'm wondering if this wouldn't be too much..

But not a wrapping expert myself, I wondering if its do-able.

A lot of people use a plastic card but this is likely to tear the vinyl. A typical squeegee is made of a hard rubber/soft plastic and has a felt edge.

As above, vinyl applicator or vinyl squeegee should find one on eBay.

IMG00013-20120216-1631.jpg

The advice given in this thread was very useful to me today :) thank you everyone, we had a vinyl applicator type thing lying around from when i attempted to tint the windows on a clio (ended badly) :p

manofhow":3gs5vnd5 said:
looks good mate, well done. 2nd attempt alot better than first attempt by the sound of it

thank you :) this is the third time ive attempted the number plate bit, first two were using poor quality vinyl and i forgot that it needed heating.

wonder what to wrap next!

tommy89":1q6szezi said:
manofhow":1q6szezi said:
looks good mate, well done. 2nd attempt alot better than first attempt by the sound of it

thank you :) this is the third time ive attempted the number plate bit, first two were using poor quality vinyl and i forgot that it needed heating.

wonder what to wrap next!

thats the unfortunate problem when u do it well, u just want to try and wrap everything and anything :p

im thinking the fog light surrounds next..... although im not sure if that will make it look "bottom of the range" to people who dont know twingos

Hi
I need some vinyl wrap for my car.
I want to do the front and rear badges white and the interior. I need blue and white wrap.
Does anyone know where I can get it from???
Thanks.

Ebay: type white vinyl wrapping and you'll get a ton of it.

the brand 3M is one of the more familiar ones.