Twingo GT - Mod or Sell

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Panbot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't had the Twingo GT long but I can't decided whether I like it or not and I'm at a point where I need to either keep the car and mod it or sell/trade it and get something like a Swift Sport/Fiesta ST.

I actually cancelled an order for a K-Tec exhaust and I've inquired about uprated injectors and a remap from RS Tuning but I've read that the clutch isn't up to dealing with the torque? I was also considering coilovers/springs & dampers but by the time I'm done that's nearly £1000 so I'd need to be pretty certain it would transform the car. If not I may as well put that money towards something else.

For reference the car has done less than 8k miles on a 59 plate so although I could trade I'll likely be going backwards age wise and upwards in terms of mileage. Advice?

Thanks,

Andy

Sir Panbot":2h3sdsia said:
Hi all,

I haven't had the Twingo GT long but I can't decided whether I actually like it and I'm at a point where I need to either keep the car and mod it or sell/trade it and get something like a Swift Sport/Fiesta ST.

I actually cancelled an order for a K-Tec exhaust and I've inquired about uprated injectors and a remap from RS Tuning but I've read that the clutch isn't up to dealing with the torque? I was also considering coilovers/springs & dampers but by the time I'm done that's nearly £1000 so I'd need to be pretty certain it would transform the car. If not I may as well put that money towards something else.

For reference the car has done less than 8k miles on a 59 plate so although I could trade I'll likely be going backwards age wise and upwards in terms of mileage. Advice?

Thanks,

Andy
im running 138 bhp and 160ft lb on standard injectors iv got a fmic and fully decated exhaust system mapped by ktec. iv drove 12k since modified the clutch hasn't missed a beat. trust me Swift Sport/Fiesta ST's don't stand a chance ;)

Edit:k-tec have a uprated clutch coming out soon aswell

Mines due to be getting re-mapped soon by R.S Tuning, but its got a cat-back & Eibach springs on and I love every minute of it!

It also depends on what you want, if you just want to go in a straight line fast buy an ST but if you want to go fast round corners keep the GT.

I've seen the swift sports kicking around but they're in no competion with a mapped GT or ST!

end of the day its your choice, and its what makes you happy!

Beany-08GT":27twzlvm said:
Mines due to be getting re-mapped soon by R.S Tuning, but its got a cat-back & Eibach springs on and I love every minute of it!

It also depends on what you want, if you just want to go in a straight line fast buy an ST but if you want to go fast round corners keep the GT.

I've seen the swift sports kicking around but they're in no competion with a mapped GT or ST!

end of the day its your choice, and its what makes you happy!

lol u will be surprised how much different it will be one its mapped. ill be surprised if a st nails you on the straights ;)

You're both doing a very good job of convincing me :lol:

I do enjoy a good sleeper and I have noticed people seem to dismiss the Twingo due to its size.

How do the Eibach springs work with the stock dampers? I know on my old Clio which uses the same suspension configuration, the top mounts ended up sticking up about 5-10mm more than stock which was worrying. If I could get away with springs only that would leave some left over for the exhaust. :cool:

160lbs/ft doesn't sound right, must be a happy roller readout from everyone else's gains, and on standard injectors there's a lot more strain on them and will be at maximum flow which isn't advised

I took my old GT to RS tuning and said get some injectors to go with my exhaust and panel filter and tube away to what you want, money wasted as 6 months down the line I got rid for an RS which feels like a much better car already.

RS feels alot better to drive hands down and pulls better at high speeds and is quicker off the line and in the corners.

A fiesta ST is obviously faster than an GT as I've had a few run ins with one by me and pulls away on the straights a bit but it doesn't do do well in the corners as the RS(both him and me have coilovers), and a fiesta ST would be faster than a GT as my twingo RS is faster than a GT(I had one so actually can compare them both unlike most other GT fans who haven't owned a twingo RS and only base it on flywheel BHP and not what's being put down through the wheels)

If you like your GT and will keep it awhile go tune it, if you're thinking of getting a new car don't tune it and just get the new car.

The springs fitted in perfectly with the existing mounts, i think the eibachs dropped it by 20/25mm which is plenty enough.

^^ waitey has put up some good points, however i agree that a fiesta ST will still blow away a GT. i'm neutral yet as i cannot base what it'll run with a remap / i haven't raced or driven an RS! (yet)

time will tell!

Sir Panbot":7wrd215h said:
Hi all,

I haven't had the Twingo GT long but I can't decided whether I like it or not and I'm at a point where I need to either keep the car and mod it or sell/trade it and get something like a Swift Sport/Fiesta ST.

Thanks,

Andy

I can't comment on the GT because I have an RS but I have to say my mate has a new swift sport and it really is something special, quicker in a straight line and it handles like nothing else I have ever seen or driven, my RS however puts more of a smile on my face and I think out of the two the Twingo is more fun.

Defiantly up to you because at the end of the day it all comes down to money but I would say stick with the GT and go mad ;) will be so much more rewarding.

No matter how much money you throw at that engine or how many dreamers you believe its still only a 1.2, the sort of thing my nan would drive.... time to get a better car

The big thing that is putting me off the trade in/sell route is the fact my current car is like new. If I trade I'd be switching to an older car with about 20k miles more on the clock.

If I could mod the Twingo to be more suited to b-roads than city streets I think i'd be happy. Just feels a bit soft in standard form as far as power delivery and handling goes.

Edit - Also, i'd be looking at the older Swift which is still very nice but the new one is another cut above that and out of my price range.

waitey":t9vwz498 said:
160lbs/ft doesn't sound right, must be a happy roller readout from everyone else's gains, and on standard injectors there's a lot more strain on them and will be at maximum flow which isn't advised

I took my old GT to RS tuning and said get some injectors to go with my exhaust and panel filter and tube away to what you want, money wasted as 6 months down the line I got rid for an RS which feels like a much better car already.

RS feels alot better to drive hands down and pulls better at high speeds and is quicker off the line and in the corners.

A fiesta ST is obviously faster than an GT as I've had a few run ins with one by me and pulls away on the straights a bit but it doesn't do do well in the corners as the RS(both him and me have coilovers), and a fiesta ST would be faster than a GT as my twingo RS is faster than a GT(I had one so actually can compare them both unlike most other GT fans who haven't owned a twingo RS and only base it on flywheel BHP and not what's being put down through the wheels)

If you like your GT and will keep it awhile go tune it, if you're thinking of getting a new car don't tune it and just get the new car.

it was the rr at fcs lol i had it dynoed the day after i put the decat on at tx auto sport it made 137 bhp 157 ft lb the injectors were on 102% duty cycle lol

sam666":3gqqhwcu said:
waitey":3gqqhwcu said:

it was the rr at fcs lol i had it dynoed the day after i put the decat on at tx auto sport it made 137 bhp 157 ft lb the injectors were on 102% duty cycle lol

Edit: sorry if i seam mr big balls lol

singlespeed":1bobjojh said:
Sort the handling out and a GT will be awesome fun. IMO, that's its biggest failing

I second this, my GT was lowered 40mm on springs and even a non cup RS seemed stupidly good in corners, the best way to sort out the GTs handling definitely is coilovers and grippy tyres, then you'll want some semi decent seats which hold you in place as the standard ones are so bad its unreal.

A GT can be amazing if you go all out and spend mega cash on that and then taking it further with tuning by fitting a larger fuel pump and slightly larger turbo along with the common available parts readily available, it really depends when tuning a car on how much money you're willing to spend which is why I chopped mine in fit my Dini as it already has the power and handling of a highly tuned GT and the inside is a much much better place to be.

Callum-stirling":xr4f8v6g said:
I can't comment on the GT because I have an RS but I have to say my mate has a new swift sport and it really is something special, quicker in a straight line and it handles like nothing else I have ever seen or driven, my RS however puts more of a smile on my face and I think out of the two the Twingo is more fun.

I had a little play with a 60 plate SS along some B-roads the other day, was faster in a straight line (not massivly, pulling about 20ft through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a little into 4th :roll:) but i don't think the driver was as confident in some of the corners as i was sailing back up behind them :roll:

Yes my balls are massive and i beat Ferraris :mrgreen:

133_Ads":o62hos9m said:
Callum-stirling":o62hos9m said:
quote]

I had a little play with a 60 plate SS along some B-roads the other day, was faster in a straight line (not massivly, pulling about 20ft through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a little into 4th :roll:) but i don't think the driver was as confident in some of the corners as i was sailing back up behind them :roll:

Yes my balls are massive and i beat Ferraris :mrgreen:

Hahahha love this ^^^^^

As far as power goes for the 1.2, if you have the money ......

This is (was) a Volkswagen 1.2 TSI:

And check out the rest of their channel, some real engine tuning p*rn :shock: .

[youtube]zdypa4Ble-c[/youtube]

Don't think i've mentioned this but my last car was an 02 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique with cat back exhaust, KW dampers, Eibach pro springs, filter and a remap and I loved it. Wasn't necessarily the fastest car ever but it sounded great, handled great and was very sharp and responsive (until the electrics started playing up).

If I thought doing the same mods to the Twingo would do the same I would do it tomorrow but i'm not sure. The injectors have thrown a big spanner into the works as it adds on another £300 compared to a standard remap.

I'm planning on looking at an ST/Swift and then making a decision. If they don't feel night and day i'll be starting a progress thread. :p