Think I need a new tyre!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgonzalez

Reaction score
Currently sat at the side of the m40 waiting on the RAC to get out here...

Was driving down the outside lane and the nsf tyre blew out and shredded!! Managed to pull into the hard shoulder easily and safely enough.

Went to change the wheel to the spare to discover the wheel nut wrench supplied by renault has been rounded out so won't grip the wheel nuts!!! Cool.

Here's a pic of how my tyre looks at the moment.
ubene3er.jpg

waitey":1sjt4r3u said:
Damn..... How did that happen? Hit some debris in the road?
No idea, was cruising in the middle lane then dropped to 4th gear to overtake as I passed the dude it shredded instantly!! God knows how I managed to pull in from the 3rd lane quickly and safely without causing incident maybe instict took over?!

I'm a bit baffled though because I checked the tyres this morning and thought they're getting low but not illegal yet best get researching tyres...jinxed myself lol

Lucky escape there Lewis.

It was possibly under inflated, which causes the side walls to flex more than normal and heat up and then the rubber melts. If you dont check the pressures regularly, the under inflation could have been a long term one and the heat built up to the point of failure. Or, it could have been holed a mile before the failure as they dont last long with no presure.

Did the wheel and bodywork survive

I have no idea whay cause it unfortunatly but I did check my pressures around a month ago so I would hope they'd be ok to this date but who knows!!!

I wil have a proper check tomorrow or tuesday when I get back to work but upon a quick check earlier the body work seemed perfectly fine and the wheel seemed ok no particular damage but I'll check the whole thing out when I get chance, only the outer sidewall gave way so the main body of the tyre was still running around under the wheel and inner sidewall still attached, so im hoping that miniature cushion may have saved my alloy :-/

DrDrew":2e2dc2jg said:
Glad you got in safely. That's quite the shred
Cheers buddy I do feel lucky. Been driving my old picanto this weekend rather than mine on my spare. Its been fun :) has sod all power but makes lots of noise so flat out everywhere hehe

Caz-133cup":21ce14s9 said:
God that's terrible. Like everyone has said its good you pulled over so soon. Hope the car is back on the road quickly

End of the week by the time bank holiday is over and the tyre is delivered and will be lowered at the same time as a bonus ;-)