Smart repair

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Detail

Reaction score
Hi guys

Has anyone ever had a good, cheap smart repair? Is there such a thing?

Asking because I've got a scratch/blemish on one of my arches that I'd like sorting out but wouldn't be able to afford a quote of £120 I had today from a smart repair guy that is working on my neighbour's car.

Thanks, Matt

Monster Detail":1hjlsyeb said:
Asking because I've got a scratch/blemish on one of my arches that I'd like sorting out but wouldn't be able to afford a quote of £120 I had today from a smart repair guy that is working on my neighbour's car.

Thanks, Matt

The guy doing your neighbours car a chips away guy?

Know someone who used them to get a pretty big scratch (~1ft ) done for that amount. Think they did a pretty good job at it though.

DrDrew":3na7q24x said:
Monster Detail":3na7q24x said:

Thanks, Matt

The guy doing your neighbours car a chips away guy?

Know someone who used them to get a pretty big scratch (~1ft ) done for that amount. Think they did a pretty good job at it though.

No, mate, he's from a company called Dent Wizard. I've heard mixed reviews about Chips Away but it seems to me that it's a gamble on how good the local rep is. It seems as though the service can either be really good or really bad, depending on the local rep. Does anyone know how much Chips Away charge?

I've used chips away... our family swear by him... he does great work on our cars.... he sorted my dads alloys out after mum kerbed them... the alloy was 6 months old....and mum kerbed it bad...big BMW X5 M alloys... look perfect now.. he is brilliant!

pritchp":164eup8b said:
I've used chips away... our family swear by him... he does great work on our cars.... he sorted my dads alloys out after mum kerbed them... the alloy was 6 months old....and mum kerbed it bad...big BMW X5 M alloys... look perfect now.. he is brilliant!

The varying reviews of Chips Away begin...

Monster Detail":2z8en8ru said:
The varying reviews of Chips Away begin...
They are only a franchise, so the quality of the work comes down to the skill and attention of the person doing the work. If done well, you should be hard pushed to tell a repaired patch. When I first saw the Audi, there was a deep gouge in the corner of the rear bumper, which was perfectly blended in by the time I said yes to having it.

If it is the middle of a pannel, or area with few contours, it is harder to hide

Either Chips Away or indipendant, get some recomentations and have a look at their work.

Monster Detail":2gdeuta0 said:
Does anyone know how much Chips Away charge?

You can get them to come out and give you a free quote after looking at your car. At that point you could maybe ask them about any testimonials/some sort of portfolio etc from previous clients?

https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/free-estimate

I've known of several people use the guy around here, and one in east anglia, both of whom seem to have done very good jobs. From what I've seen them do, when they say they're done you get the chance to inspect the work and accept/tell them to redo it before you have to pay. If you wanted to be cautious, could take your own before & after photos too :D

Chips Away feedback seems to vary from either really good or really bad.

Personally I'm not a fan of smart repair type jobs. My Mrs car had a chip in it which the dealership sorted. They used a guy who did a smart repair on it and it looked crap. Egg shell finish, slightly off white, didn't appear to be lacquered.

In the end the dealership said they'd foot the bill for me to got to a bodyshop of my choice who did it flawlessly.