How to start up with a cold engine

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there is only one way to start a car up regardless of the temperature ( :lol: ) but as far as driving with a cold engine is concerned, I just take it easy for the first while (it's not like I can go anywhere quickly for a good while after I've left my area anyway).

I find that a good indicator of when to start driving 'normally' again is when the heaters are on properly and the car is warm inside, then I feel like I can drive as normal again. Usually takes about 10 mins.

I remember a guy who booted a car away every other morning and one day the car decide to put a piston through the side of the engine... Need I say more

jra3d":24ft0o5z said:
I remember a guy who booted a car away every other morning and one day the car decide to put a piston through the side of the engine... Need I say more

Sounds like something that would happen to Davey......

jra3d":2vsi15w9 said:

I assume that was quite an extreme case, but thanks ;).. I'll take even more care of my car

To be honest, most people get in their car and drive, whether it involved revving the ar$e off their car or driving 5 minutes in traffic and never warming the car up. That probably applies to a huge majority of cars on our roads.

To give you an idea my neighbours bought an old Clio MKI that I had which had 70k on the clock at the time. They had it over 2 years, did 30k in it, never washed it, serviced it yearly and I'd regularly hear it rev up the road from cold. Yet the engine never let them down! :)

Having said that, because I know what harm can be done I always wait for my car to be hot, not just for the cockpit to get warm but a good 15 minutes driving before I raise the revs. I'm not harsh on my cars at all but I'm well aware the average modern car can take the 'abuse' the average drivers puts it through.

Turn the key an bounce it off the limiter that will get the oil pressure up.

Turn the key lol :)
I always leave at least 15 minutes before going past 3k revs.

Someone on here said a few days ago "I don't understand why people buy new cars, I only buy second hand cars".

Perfect example of why I don't trust second hand cars..

I always start my car up and drive off the drive straight away because I don't want to wake people up with my exhaust. I never take it over 2k on the revs until its warmed up

Leaving it idling to warm up is a bad idea on most cars anyway, because oil doesn't circulate to the top of the engine properly without load.

It's always disconcerted me not having oil or water gauges in the Twingo - but the car definitely reins itself in until it's up to temp, mine's got almost no go until it is; I do use up to 3k rpm though, keeping them down puts more load everywhere (as well as not pumping the cold oil around the block).

Another easy way to tell is to walk round the back, mine absolutely reeks of unburnt fuel until it's warmed up.

As people have said, wait 15 mins or so before booting the arse off it :lol:

That said, the "heater is warm" trick, isn't necessarily a good indicator...yes, your water is warm BUT your Oil takes much more time to heat up and reduce it's viscosity.

I do find that the Twingo lacks a water/oil temp gauge a little daft....the Yaris didn't have one but had a Traffic Light system for temp - Blue = Cold, Green = Warm/Go, Red = Hot/Stop.

As has been said, leaving the car idling isn't best practice as bugger all oil pressure is made so your oil takes much longer to heat up than driving at a sensible pace.

Clingo":210l826p said:
Thanks again for all the useful and interesting comments ;)! I know i shouldn't be to hard on the engin
e when cold, i was just a little bit concerned that i might have done some damage to the car already for the very few times i did little sprints (like 60kph to 110kph or sth) with an improperly heated engine (like after 5 min).. since i do not notice any weird noises or behavior yet it should be fine, right?

It will be fine. Stop worrying and get driving. These car werent built to be mollycoddled, mechanical sympathy is the key.

Not to mention that with 70mph being 3600rpm in 5th, there's no way it wasn't designed to go that high directly from cold.

Changing up just in time to avoid the limiter wouldn't be the way to get there is all.