Getting alloys off !!! Punctured rear

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMR

Reaction score
I was about 30miles away from home yesterday, went to watch a football match with my dad and my son.
We had a great day, our team won, got back to my parents house and dad says "have you got a flat?"
"No, there just really low profile" I said, and looked at the tyre and corrected myself, "yeah its flat" :(

Put it on dads drive, loosened bolts, jacked it up took bolts out and wheel was rusted on to the hub.
FFS, my dads next door neighbour had to come round with the sledgehammer and a block of wood to whack it with as I kept turning it a bit.

It was a bastard to get off. Bear in mind it was 7pm, if I'd been on a back road or somewhere remote, I'd have been fcuked getting it off just propped on a single jack.

Are they always like this or is it just shoddy servicing not putting copper slip grease on the hub before putting the alloy back on.

I've now got a puncture to get repaired/tyre replaced and the other 3 wheels taken off (carefully) and copper greased (I think)

BTW whats the little coat hanger like shaped thing for in the tool/spare kit?

Oooff.... :x
tyre1.jpg

Nicely in the groove of the tread...not :evil:
tyre6.jpg

Look at the tread left on it....this never happens when the tyre is on its last legs looking like a slick. :(
tyre5.jpg

It was a big fcuker! :eek:
tyre2.jpg

tyre4.jpg

Gave me an hour to clean it properly...
tyre3.jpg

The small metal "coat hanger" is a hub cap remover for the models with steelies. Some places ive been have copper slipped the hubs and some won't, varies on how lazy the garage you got to are I guess

Bought car from Renault dealer in April.
And to p!ss me off even more yesterday the Clio packed up.

Battery dead.

Suspect failed alternator, so that is a pain, I had to go out in it yesterday, had to jumpstart it from the Twingo and twice with by dads car when I was over at parents house.

Drove the 30 mile back to my house, put it in the garage, turned it off, then tried to turn it back on - no charge at all.
Bugger.

JMR":15vp1m6k said:
Bought car from Renault dealer in April.
And to p!ss me off even more yesterday the Clio packed up.

Battery dead.

Suspect failed alternator, so that is a pain, I had to go out in it yesterday, had to jumpstart it from the Twingo and twice with by dads car when I was over at parents house.

Drove the 30 mile back to my house, put it in the garage, turned it off, then tried to turn it back on - no charge at all.
Bugger.

must be a clio based disease at the moment - ours has just given up too. off to the scrappers today to pick up an alternator. phoned the guy we use and he will get it off a tested one for a tenner :)

question is..... is it involved in the cambelt! if so, im not fitting it :p

The alternator runs off the aux belt, water pump off the cam belt. Someone correct if I'm wrong

thats a bit of luck then - I have done one of those before - hopefully a cheap fix! thank you Jjay

Yup, alternator runs off the aux belt, worth replacing that at same time for the sake of £17 for the belt.

BTW dropped the wheel off at friends garage earlier on, he says straight forward fix - £10.

He's putting it up on the ramps too and will take each of the wheels off, wirebrush and clean, then copper grease the mating face of the hub so I dont end up with this problem again.

I know on my old clio there were two aux belts, one ran the alternator and one ran the power steering. Both replaced in 30mins for like £16. So it's cheap and easy :p hope u get al sorted pal

Dont think mine is the alternator now as I couldnt charge the battery last night to start the car, so I suspect its dead.
Taking it off tomorrow and replacing - lets see if that works.

Good news too, tyre repaired, all other 3 wheels off (reasonably easy) and copper greased.

Thanks to Phil & Scott @ Car Services in Skegby near Mansfield
(also sorted out my Clio 182 driveshaft earlier in the year)
https://www.carservicesskegby.co.uk/index.cfm

Been using these very good family/friends for over 20 years now.

On mine, I kerbed a tyre (in avoidance) when it was only about 3 months old. Took the tyre guy ages with increasingly big hammers to get the thing off, so looks like they don't bother greasing them in the factory!