Bit of advice

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyg

Reaction score
Probably a strange place to ask this, but I'm just after a general opinion.

I'm currently away with work at the moment, and after selling both my cars before I left I'm now 'car-less'. Once I get back in April I'll have a bit of cash in the savings which I was going to buy a nice car with, paid off etc. However, if I saved a bit more then it's house deposit money.

Say I have 6k saved up - I could buy a nice car and be left with not much change but a car that's mine and paid off. Or, I could pay a smaller deposit and get say a nice Ibiza Cupra but on the finance, pay for it monthly and keep my savings for a nice house.

What would you do?

If I had 6k sitting in savings with nothing to worry about, I would buy a 2-3k Diesel and save for the house deposit, no point in getting a car on finance as you'll lose out with depreciation etc!

Cheap reliable diesel sub £2k and save the rest for the house (as Ads says). Cars will not appreciate in value (in the short term or unless you've got bucket loads of cash).

Thanks guys.

Yeah in a position with no outgoings apart from living costs, and that's the best way to be I think. Nice diesel for 2k? I'll try and find one! Haha.

The reason I was going to spend more on a car was the fact that If I did buy a home It would be commuting from work as well as the monthly trip down to England to see the family.

Tbh if you've only got 6k towards a house I wouldn't bother with the house just yet. Cheap car and build on the 4k left over.

you can pick up a fair few cracking motors for 2 grand right now, loads of lovely example E46 BMW diesels whos engines are bullet proof and will chug on forever. but it's hard to say, as you haven't really said what you want in a car matty. but i deffinately agree that 6-10 grand isn't going to get you a deposit for a house. well it will, but you'll probably end up in an area where your next door neighbour is a mad stabber with a garage full of chib sticks and a gold chain that says ''mad jambo'' who starts his sentences with '' ... fukkkkin ...... ''

Just get a cheap (okay condition) run about. I'm in the same position saving up for a house, and a nice car would be the last thing I'd want to splash out on right now. It'll be worth it in the end!

I'm 12-18 months away to getting a house I can't wait!

Depends on your image , if you want a flash car get the cupra

If you don't really care about the car/performance get a diesel super Milage car

At least if you get the house organised now, once you've moved in and settled, you can start saving for a better car. I say Fabia VRS diesel for now + mega saving time for your own pad...

have a look at Seat Arosa 1.4 TDi's if you want an eco run around. I picked up one for 1600 and can get 80+mpg when driven right.. Polo 1.4tdi's don't go for much either and it's the same engine but slightly bigger car