172 buying advice.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyg

Reaction score
Hi folks,

After selling my 133 recently I've really started to miss having a fun car. This was also aided by my Golf 'pooing' itself recently so I'm on the hunt for a new car.

I used to have a 172 years ago, and I really fancy another - but this time I want to find the right one.

I know to look for belts being changed and the usual car buying tips but is there anything folk have noticed with theirs that would aid me in looking?

I've got around £1500 to spend, it's not much but I'm hoping it get's me a half decent one. I know I'm out of range for a 182.

Also, if anyone comes across a good deal feel free to let me know. I may be in the north of Scotland but I'll travel for the right motor.

Many thanks

Matt

in my opinion when it comes to fun and bang for buck, the 172 is the best of all the renault sports in terms of maintenance and actual driving pleasure. the 182 isn't any faster in the real world, it's a bit heavier and the true power figures are pretty much the same. the 182 brand new was around 171 bhp at the wheels. the 172 put out the mid 160's and some were 170bhp and were also lighter. the engines seem to be fairly sturdy, what to look out for is a sticking throttle pedal on the 172's they can be a bit of a pain in the backside!

make sure it's got a fair service history too man. my advice would be sign up to cliosport.net pay the membership fee and you'll get access to loads of loved 172's that are currently for sale in your price range

honestly, i could not agree more but it's only a small minority of members on there who you just want to stab mate :) they are easily ignored! cliosport.net is a vast knowledge bank on all things 172 and is definitely worth it, especially when you need some 172 parts second hand wheels etc. cheap cheap cheap

sometimes i get lost reading 70 page long turbo builds, even though they're as common as a kebab shop now it's still awesome seeing such detailed threads and witnessing peoples dreams come true :D

....offcourse i don't condone stabbing people! just in the mind, mortal kombat moves with samurai swords lol

I'll maybe sign up tomorrow then, be worth a look I suppose!

Thanks Oscar - and your mate who picked them springs up the other day off me made me miss the 133 badly lol

Went to have a look at 3 today. 2 in Fife that were rough as a badgers arse and a Ph1 in Edinburgh. The ph1 had 50000 odd miles advertised and looked clean , the steering wheel was melted badly and the seats were worn. But the issue was upon looking in the service history and finding the page with the stamps missing.

Walked away pretty quickly from that one lol. Will have to continue my search next weekend.

mattyg":2kl1m7a0 said:
Went to have a look at 3 today. 2 in Fife that were rough as a badgers arse and a Ph1 in Edinburgh. The ph1 had 50000 odd miles advertised and looked clean , the steering wheel was melted badly and the seats were worn. But the issue was upon looking in the service history and finding the page with the stamps missing.

Walked away pretty quickly from that one lol. Will have to continue my search next weekend.

Damn that's a shame, phase 1 is what I'd go for. Almost cult status among the right circles and it'll start appreciating in value if you look after it. That and to me the best looking of the bunch. One of those on cooksports and F1's = perfect.

Aye if it had the stamps and the old mot papers and he could prove the mileage I would have seriously considered it. It's a shame.

The next one I may look at next weekend it a flamer 172 but it's 350 miles away in Newcastle - best be worth it lol.

mattyg":36363fs3 said:
Aye if it had the stamps and the old mot papers and he could prove the mileage I would have seriously considered it. It's a shame.

The next one I may look at next weekend it a flamer 172 but it's 350 miles away in Newcastle - best be worth it lol.

Newcastle? Upon Tyne or Under Lyme? I'm local to Newcastle Upon Tyne so if you need anything let me know pal.

This is not far from where I work pal, literally a mile or 2 away!

DTM are good guys, it's andy from cliosport.net who does the belts for trev (the owner) so you're in safe hands matty

oscar":3ugf7r9l said:
DTM are good guys, it's andy from cliosport.net who does the belts for trev (the owner) so you're in safe hands matty

There ya go Matty. It looks like a good un as well pal!

DTM got a bit of a slating on CS the other day for advertising quite a rough car as 'mint'. Guy travelled a fair distance to look at it etc and I think it turned out to be a bit of a dog.

Best bet really is to get onto cliosport.net and get into the 'cars for sale' in the marketplace. Usually the car will be known and a lot of the time there's build/project threads on the cars so you can see for yourself.