Warranty - Stuck wheel

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moomin_Man

Reaction score
eughhh....what a night

Any how, driven to my friends house out of town, on the way back, things are feeling pretty rough and wobbly.
Pulled over ASAP (no houses or pull-in areas for a few miles)
Jacked up, nuts off, wheel won't budge.
Tried whacking it with the spare tyre, lowering on the cars weight, over tightening to try and break the bond. The alloy might as well be welded to the car. It's solid.
I've only had the car just over a year from new, wheel has never been off!
By the time I'd battled on, made a few calls, phone battery died, i was numb (-5*c).
No option but to drive home at 5mph...took a long time...

Any how, is that kind of thing covered under warranty? Or do they weld all their wheels on for security? :p

Hoping the tyre isn't a write off but the air is p**sing out as fast as i fill it.

Thanks for any help guys and gals :)

Not sure on the warranty side of things but I know a 5lb copper & hide hammer (hide side) to the inside edge of the wheel often works pretty well with stubborn wheels and causes no damage :)

maggi112":1nbyzyz8 said:
It's not unusual. And you're not the first. it'll take a hefty hit with a mallet to budge it most likely, and copper seal to prevent it
Also if you can get a stuff wire brush to remove all the dirt and general cr*p buildup around the centre hub before applying the copper paste often helps too :)

I remember the first time I removed my wheels they were incredibly difficult to get off. I felt the same as you with one of them in particular.

I found wd40 helped. It eventually came off and I've never had any problems getting them on and off since then.

Cheers guys, I know it's not uncommon, Iv'e had no real issues with previous cars, but this thing is REALLY stuck on. Hoping to get it sorted tomorrow after I fork out £100+ for a new tyre...just as i'd started putting money aside to get 2 of the alloys refurbed :(

If using wd40 always remember to cover discs and pads from overspray. Wd40 on brakes BIGMISTAKE

One of my friends has no idea about cars and no common sense! I went to change his pads for him an wheel got stuck, he sprayed all over with wd40 whilst I was taking a whizz... What a mistake that was for him. Silly bugger!

Jjay":2k3h5myf said:
One of my friends has no idea about cars and no common sense! I went to change his pads for him an wheel got stuck, he sprayed all over with wd40 whilst I was taking a whizz... What a mistake that was for him. Silly bugger!

What happened?

Araf":232rt75b said:
Why didn't you 'phone the AA?

Didn't get a chance, I'm with the AA but by the time I got off the phone from my Dad (giving me lots of useful tips to get it off) battery had died...my nice little iPhone dock decided it wasn't going to charge the phone either.

A night of unfortunate events :p

I used the biggest lump of wood in my garden and took a big swing with it when this happened.. Knocked it off after a few tries, just leave the nuts in place a few turns so the wheel doesn't fly all the way off.

Moomin my alloys always get stuck. My and jjay cleaned my rear pads because they was sqeekin and both the alloys was stuck. 2 weeks before we done it I had all 4 off to paint the calipers so they should of stuck

Ok, AA have just been!
The guy's words were, "ahhh, you just need a bit of muscle lad"

15 minutes later he had to call for another AA chap to bring out a power bar...or something like that.
He couldn't believe how bonded it was for a car with 6000 miles!
Glad i'm not just weak :p

next time just loosen the wheel nuts half a turn (and only half a turn!!) and slowly roll a few meters. problem solved

frediiii":2xy24d2f said:
next time just loosen the wheel nuts half a turn (and only half a turn!!) and slowly roll a few meters. problem solved
I think i Tried this, At the time, i loosened half a turn hoping the cars weight would pop the bond. Jiggled the wheel too...nothing.

jiggling is not enough. you need to drive it (slowly, carefully) to distribute the load generated by the weight of the car