VVT=variable valve timing or not??

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbieb22

Reaction score
Hi,

this may seem like a stupid question to most but does the VVT on my Twingo 133 mean it has variable valve timing? If so when (what rev rang) does this kick in? My brother used to have a Civic Type R with VVT and when it timing changed it was like a monster being released under the bonnet. Where the monster in my Twingo LOl- as although I love the car it seems a little tame as standard- no offence intended.

altho both the the type r and the 133 both have vvt, there is a fairly big diff in the setup

TURBO":w9y8le4d said:
altho both the the type r and the 133 both have vvt, there is a fairly big diff in the setup

I know little about it to be honest. I understand the principle of VVT and what different CAMBs can do, but don't really know much about both engines. Living in London I haven't had the chance to give the engine a good run lol- that and the fact my wife is normally with me and she moans like mad when I rev it past 3.5RPM. need to get out without her! lol

The VVT kicks in about 4k rpm and you proabably wont notice much difference to be honest. There is only one set of cams whereas you're probably talking vtec Which is two sets of cams?

Systems like VTEC have an extra element, variable valve timing and lift, the lift (activated by a solenoid that then operates a high lift cam lobe) lets the valves open higher and longer and is what gives it the unique VTEC kick when reaching a certain RPM.

The normal VVT (without lift) element is there usually for fuel consumption, emissions and drivability reasons rather than for extracting high performance like VTEC systems

rob":2i7wn7i6 said:
Systems like VTEC have an extra element, variable valve timing and lift, the lift (activated by a solenoid that then operates a high lift cam lobe) lets the valves open higher and longer and is what gives it the unique VTEC kick when reaching a certain RPM.

The normal VVT (without lift) element is there usually for fuel consumption, emissions and drivability reasons rather than for extracting high performance like VTEC systems

okay that's really helpful. I watch a video on Utube of the Vtec and its really clear why it has such a kick- its almost like switching to a high lift cam when the revs are right.

So, what happens with the Twingo, is there still additional cams on the shaft? What really happens when the revs are high?

robbieb22":34eenhdn said:
So, what happens with the Twingo, is there still additional cams on the shaft? What really happens when the revs are high?

the vvt on the 133 has the two cams, inlet and exhaust they are both fixed cams but the inlet cam has an adjustable pulley on it which is where the advance or retard comes from

You've felt nothing until you've experienced vtec in a b16 with skunk2 cams :lol:

Actually, the maddest I'd ever felt was a b16a turbo. The noise would be as follows: Vroom. VRROOOMM. PSSSHH. As it drove, then hit vtec then boosted :lol: maddest thing I'd ever been in