Upgrading Sound System

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty_doh

Reaction score
Evening all,

Looking to upgrade the sound system in my 133 (Has the 'Sound Pack' option w/o bluetooth).

I'm not bothered about massive volume or bass, rather quality as I find the standard speakers a bit tinny and lacking in quality.

To be honest, I haven't the foggiest where to start with ICE, but I definitely don't want a sub or amp in the boot as my boot is in use pretty regularly taking MTB's etc and a sub or amp will just get in the way.

No real budget at the moment as I'm planning on steadily upgrading over time, so any suggestions on where to go for better sound quality (Not quantity!) gladly taken aboard!

To get the most out of the system you really need an amp, but then again it depends on your budget.

If you have the money I would strongly recommend having the whole setup run off a simple underseat amp that won't get in the way. The only trouble is wiring it up!

If you were looking for a simpler and cheaper solution, there are upgrades available that will increase the quality and volume tenfold. I believe Pioneer do a direct replacement set that you can literally just swap, otherwise you'll have to cut wires and crimp them for other aftermarket speakers.

Just change the head unit and the speakers and it will sound a lot better. I'm the same and would never really consider fitting an amp etc.

To be fair with renault there head units i think are great but the speakers could do with a change like Matt has said Pioneer do a direct replacement and from what people have said about them they sound stunning.

I'm in a similar position as I'd like to upgrade the standard set up but I like the OEM head unit and the display it gives at the top of the dash.

I helped fit an under seat Kenwood active sub in my friends MR2 on Saturday and that is an impressive bit of kit. It's literally 7cm deep and has a 6 1/2" sub that gives a nice rounded bass and midrange as well.

It would be worth considering as it can be wired up from the rear speaker outputs rather than from a pre-out and doesn't need to be in the boot so you get the best of both.

Certainly not a big booming sub but gives a nice bit of assistance to a smaller set of speakers.

Ive considered getting a under seat sub but just dont think it will have th right amount of punch and just destort at loud volumes

well there is that to it, but in as little detail the bigger the sub the better puntch and quality u will get from it ! but if you are into stuff like rock, r&b stuff, that includes lots of bass then u will need something like a 12" minimum bandpass, if all fails on what is happening atmo that i have got the guys at the place i get my stuff from are haveing a big conflab with vibe atmo lol i will be getting the next one up from the compact 8 swaped i got atmo to a 12" ported one thet if that doesnt sound any better i will be getting this beauty ;)

https://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/car/blackair-enclosures/

will need to move my back seat forward a notch or 2 but that will DEFFO cure my music needs a 1600W band pass hehe :p !

Hey Guys,

I thought i would post here instead of making a new thread, in a few weeks time i am going to get a Vibe active box with a 10" speaker fitted into my boot, and I asked the guy to put a quick release thingy on it so I can take it out with ease when i need my boot. He is pricing me £300 for it but i am sure i can get him down a bit for it.

What are your guys opinions?

Cheers, Andrew

Aw cool cool, you looking into getting a speaker for your car or anything?

I am from Newton Mearns, so Barrhead is literally two seconds away for me for convenience :)

So today I have bit the bullet n put my car in so in a few hours time I will have a nice new speaker in my boot :)