tires balding after 4000miles ?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olliehemingway

Reaction score
as the name says my tires are wearing badly on the outer shoulders on both left and right front tires and also on the inner 1/4 on both left and right tires and i really dont drive like an a***hole?

my steering wheel has never sat straight from day one and either continentals are made of cheese.. my driving is dangerously wrong or theres something wrong with the cars set up?

anyone else had any issues similar?

thanks.

I'd be inclined to take it back to Renault, explain that the steering wheel isn't straight and that the tyres are showing signs of wear.

They should then be able to check the tracking on the car and tell you if it's out. Could be something is up especially with the wheel not being straight but that said it could be that it wasn't put on straight in the first place although that would be unusual.

Put it this way unless you've been gunning it round a track I'd expect 4,000 mile old tyres to still look pretty good.

My Mrs has done 12,500 miles on the original tyres and they still have plenty of tread left.

As Alex says, get it checked out. If Your dealer doesn't have a 4 wheel allignment setup, I would be pushing for them to get it checked on one for you.

It's entirely possible to wear the outside shoulders of the front tyres in 4000 miles when cornering hard. However, the rears showing wear to the inner edges and the steering wheel being misalligned sugests theres more to it than you driving like a lune

The wheel is splined so there is a maximum of 3 ways the wheel can be put on, as I removed mine to have a look when I got it. And moving it to the next way it could seat made it even further out for me.

I assume you have a silverstone as well? Just odd that both yours and mine had this problem although probably coincidence.

Hi Ollie, I had the same issue with outer edges of tyres showing wear after less than 2k, I took mine to Tyres Galore on Mayfield Road, Leicester who tracked the car and centralised the steering wheel for £26.00. The kit they use is the John Bean ARAGO system which has the 17" wheel cup chassis in the software, you get a before and after printout - I would recommend anyone to have their RS checked, the factory Q & A seems a bit suspect in this area.

Cheers, Den

£26 is a bargain, my local tyre places want £64 for tracking/wheel alignment. Which I suppose will have to be done next week with the coilovers fitted -.-