The story behind "Spitfire1"

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitfire1

Reaction score
I thought I would just put a few picks up for the second love of my life (Wife first of course :shock: :cool: ;) ) We've been together for some 24 years, had our ups and downs but still together, this is what she looked like when I first met her:

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

Not in the best of conditions :eek: :eek:

Any way she's change a lot, after being in storage for a while then coming back out last year, I decided to add a few up-grades, so here goes:

I had to have the diff re-built has it had developed a knock, so out she came, this is what the underneath looks like without the diff:

IMG_0934.jpg

Here's the finished diff:
IMG_0990.jpg

After fitting the diff I then decided to change the exhaust, something a bit more up market, so started with the manifold:

IMG_0986.jpg

Finished with a twin system:
IMG_0982.jpg

The end result:
IMG_1005.jpg

After that started on the brakes / shocks / flexi lines and up-grades to stainless steel parts (nice option to have as it stops the rusting)

Rear - GAZ Adjustable rate shocks
IMG_1008.jpg

Front - yes again GAZ shocks fully adjustable (height & rate)
IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

On to the engine - a couple of K&N plus a needle and spring change on the carbs:

IMG_0994.jpg

Here's how she looks now:
IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

More recent addition - A half cage - just in case:

IMG_1029.jpg

And one of the finished engine bay:

IMG_1023.jpg

And the shocker for most of you:

IMG_0927.jpg

Yes it's only done 4 miles since I've owned it :D :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

I hope you don't mine me posting such a long post, I've got loads more photo's and loads of stories about the car, as I've said, it's a keeper

Rob. :D ;)

Thats a big transformation.

I imagine the handling will be much better than my first and last trip in one which was an accident waiting to happen

singlespeed":31jh56e6 said:
Thats a big transformation.

I imagine the handling will be much better than my first and last trip in one which was an accident waiting to happen

I've never been in one. Know what they are though and how badly they rot. That's some resto Rob fair play mate.

Just a little up-date, managed to get the car out of the garage to start the final preparation for getting her back on the road, needs the carbs tuning plus the ride height needs correcting, but not far off now, so here's what she looks like:

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

I had a quick drive down the road, I forgot how basic these cars are - the brakes have got to be broken in yet - makes driving interesting :shock: :shock: :lol: