Suspension Lower Balljoint Rubbers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's me just off the phone to Customer Services, hopefully they can help me out with the cost.

Very happy with the service I got on the phone, always nice to have.

Mine is getting fixed for £45. If the gaiter has split but the balljoint is fine, then a garage can just drop the ball-Joint down and replace the gaiter. If you got knocking then your balljoint needs replacing. As soon as you spot the gaiter is split, get it replaced asap.

mine have been all replaced now as of this morning.

as usual like with melting steering wheels renault is adamant that this is a one off problem and was a material defect. hahah i have given up trying to talk with RUK :p

Mines been making a squealing noise for a while and really need changing. I'll get it over the pit Thursday and see how bad it is. I'm 4 months outside the warranty and with over 45k on the clock I doubt RUK will help with the costs.

Caz-133cup":13bkz1a6 said:
Mines been making a squealing noise for a while and really need changing. I'll get it over the pit Thursday and see how bad it is. I'm 4 months outside the warranty and with over 45k on the clock I doubt RUK will help with the costs.
Caz they will sort it. It's on there system that its a problem

Dazza1":2wlxxa22 said:
Caz-133cup":2wlxxa22 said:
Caz they will sort it. It's on there system that its a problem

They didn't say that to me a few months ago, infanct they said "oh that's rare for that to happen to a car of that age" car was just over 2 years old with 21k miles.

They didn't even acknowledge its a common problem at all.

waitey":35sqw34x said:
They didn't say that to me a few months ago, infanct they said "oh that's rare for that to happen to a car of that age" car was just over 2 years old with 21k miles.

They didn't even acknowledge its a common problem at all.

that's almost exactly the same age/mileage as mine when they were replaced.

Perhaps it depends on the dealer's input to an extent. Caz - if it's not too far you might want to consider talking to Smiths at Peterborough about it. I know they know of it as a problem, as their service manager was the guy who highlighted it to me - and so they've definitely seen a few before.

My car has just been for its mot and its failed on lower balljoint rubbers. Car is now 5 yrs old and had one of the lower arms replaced under warranty 3 yrs ago at only 5400 miles. Car has now done 14k and both have failed. Was quoted £501 from Renault but after speaking to Renault UK they have offered to pay 75% of the cost so I only need to pay £125. Was very impressed with the guy I spoke to at Renault UK, he wanted to know everything about the car before he processed my complaint and I have to say he was very thorough. I mentioned that I was worried about this happening again in a couple of years but he said that the new parts have been upgraded so it shouldn't be a problem? (Not sure they have been upgraded but that's what he told me). Anyway it's all good for now, going in on Tuesday to be sorted.

Car went in today for the work mentioned above along with a new near side track rod end. Car drives like new now and there are no issues with the steering being off centre or pulling to one side like some people have had.
Very happy for now. lol

Had this done on my Gordini a few weeks back.

Fortunately although they car was a month out of warranty they covered the entire cost due to the mileage.

To be honest with you Alex, I was quite surprised that Renault UK paid for 75% of mine seeing as my car is now 5 yrs old. They didn't agree with me when I said it was a common fault and they said it was wear & tear but agreed to contribute because they said given the cars mileage, it was premature wear & tear. Told them about the numerous other owners who had the same problem with the same parts but still they said its not a problem with the parts. Anyway glad you got yours sorted mate. I'll be taking mine in for mot a week early next year to see if it fails again.

Glad to see your Gordini is looking as good as ever, don't forget to give us first shout if you come to sell it. Would love one so immaculate.

Of course it's not a common problem :shock: it cant be as the 133 isn't common.

However, the number of low mileage and relatively new motors with perished rubbers must be a large percentage of the total on the road