Strange steering problem

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N0ddie

Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks a problem has developed on our little 133. The problem seems to be on the front.

The steering wheel "wobbles" at low speeds and at high speeds is a noticable vibration. Also, letting go of the steering wheel makes the car turn quite a lot to the right.

I can remember an old member Stevers133 had a problem with his car pulling right but can't remember what the cause was. Car is in being serviced (and MOT'd if I can get a new horn fitted this week) at the weekend so hopefully it's nothing major that'll cause it to fail its first MOT.

Any suggestions peeps?

N0ddie":2l0wk62x said:
Over the last couple of weeks a problem has developed on our little 133. The problem seems to be on the front.

The steering wheel "wobbles" at low speeds and at high speeds is a noticable vibration. Also, letting go of the steering wheel makes the car turn quite a lot to the right.

I can remember an old member Stevers133 had a problem with his car pulling right but can't remember what the cause was. Car is in being serviced (and MOT'd if I can get a new horn fitted this week) at the weekend so hopefully it's nothing major that'll cause it to fail its first MOT.

Any suggestions peeps?

i had exactly the same problem with mine. 3 steering racks and 1 steering collum later it was sorted!!!

but to rule out obvious, check tracking, tyre pressures, suspension ball joints, top mounts, tyre wear and wheel balancing coz it could be a ballancing issue :)

singlespeed":2vjfpuln said:
wheel balance or damaged tyre/wheel?

This was my first thought (Initial hope also as its not that expensive to fix) but surely that wouldn't cause the car to pull to the right as much as it does?

I was hoping to remove the drivers front wheel today to check but was pi$$ing down so didnt manage.

Are both the tyres roughly got the same amount of tread left ? This might sound silly but I have had it before on customers cars at work were they have have a puncher and it's not been repairable. So put a new tyre on for them and the other one on the front is say on 3mm of tread left so there is a big difference in tread for one wheel to the other this will make a car pull to one side

Hopefully I can get the wheel off tomorrow at some point and hopefully find an easy problem. If it aint the wheel or tyre then it must be something else i.e.. ball joints, steering rack etc.

N0ddie":mu0kyvwk said:
singlespeed":mu0kyvwk said:

This was my first thought (Initial hope also as its not that expensive to fix) but surely that wouldn't cause the car to pull to the right as much as it does?

I was hoping to remove the drivers front wheel today to check but was pi$$ing down so didnt manage.
I suppose different pressures in the front tyres could cause it to pull to the right, as they would end up with a different rolling diameter much like differing tread depths mentioned by Poweller.

However, if it has had a knock to damage the tyre or wheel, it could be the tracking thats out.

195/40 isn't a forgiving profile :(

singlespeed":23ygzoyy said:
N0ddie":23ygzoyy said:
singlespeed":23ygzoyy said:

I suppose different pressures in the front tyres could cause it to pull to the right, as they would end up with a different rolling diameter much like differing tread depths mentioned by Poweller.

However, if it has had a knock to damage the tyre or wheel, it could be the tracking thats out.

195/40 isn't a forgiving profile :(

Its something I can easily check tomorrow (Tyre pressures). Yeah, the "elastic band" sized tyres aint the best for our British roads.

Might try some 205s next time around.

Well gents, cheers for the suggestions. And please cross yer fingers is a "cheap fix" lol.

Same thing is happening with mine too, wobble slightly to the right at very slow speeds. The faster I drive then the wobble dissipates. If I let go of the wheel it pulls slightly to the right.
I know I need new tyres soon so I'm hoping this solves the problem.

tyre pressures > front wheel alignment > brake caliper piston sticking too far causing a small braking effect pulling the car to the right> steering arm ball joint on it's way out >

with an imbalanced wheel, you can drive through the pulsation. the faster you go, the higher pitched it gets until it vannishes. it will be a simple case of your front alignment being out, just going over a fair pothole will knock this out and with the amount of potholes on the roads nowadays it's common as hell

I've had mine lowered on Spax progressive springs, when I took it to get the alignment done they chose the renault sport settings even though it's a GT. To my surprise the steering feels much better! So much more confidence round the country lanes and I'm not fighting to keep in central anymore.

Hi. Did you solve this problem? I have similar issue with my RS, first I thought that ruts pulls car to the right, but same thing happens on arrow-straight highway...
In high speeds around 140 km/h (87 mph) I always must turn steering wheel slightly to left. It is really tiring, when you have 600 km to drive.
I checked wheels balance, tire pressure, then my mechanic checked wheel geometry, right brake caliper and disc - still no result. I suspected right brake because sludge from the brake pads was larger on the right wheel, but mechanic disassembled whole brake caliper and said that it is ok... I have no idea what to check or replace next :/

Best Regards
Grisz