Some Clio 172 Love!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_225

Reaction score
Well after a year of ownership my Clio 172 got what I'd consider a proper detail.

I had intended to not get prissy about it and actually decided I'd let the local hand car wash look after it. It had been through hundreds of car washes in it's 10 year life so what harm was it going to do having a few more?

Well no harm as it goes but they just didn't do it properly, I can live with swirls on a car that cost me £800 but when they miss bits and don't bother vacuuming it properly, I'll do it myself thanks very much. :lol:

So anyway, here she is after a fair few hours went into her. I just used my cheaper selection of products but well pleased with the results.

She was pre-rinsed then washed with Autoglym shampoo, Meguiars Microfibre wash mitt and two buckets. The car was then clayed with Meguiars clay, Autoglym Rapid Detailer as lube then re-washed and dried using two microfibre drying towels and a Meguiars Watermagnet for the glass. Then I polished the car by hand with Autoglym SRP, that new version is really good and noticeably less powdery. Finally was given a coat of Collinite 845 and tyres finished with Meguiars tyre gel.

5_zpse4f0e543.jpg

10_zps2a409719.jpg

11_zpsf07fd080.jpg

6_zps4534db61.jpg

3_zpsc70b9285.jpg

1_zps5d770ebf.jpg

Not a bad finish considering that's just SRP filling in any swirls/scratches.

8_zps20340873.jpg

9_zps164d9282.jpg

And me fiddling with photos on my Mac after! :thumb:

ClioEffect1_zpsee737113.jpg

ClioEffect2_zpsbb79845e.jpg

It still scrubs up very well :)

I think the old srp was good but the new one seems to be better as you say, less powder formed and slightly better near black trims which don't pick up as much white residue

It's the first time I've used the new SRP as it came in the AG clay kit I picked up yesterday. Now I love the usual SRP, it's just one of those products that does all you'd want, easy to use and cheap. Plus it's designed to create a surface for sealants like their Extra Gloss Protection so works brilliantly with waxes like Collinite or Finishkare.

You're right about black trims too, if seems to wipe off easier as well.

Looks lovely! I am so tempted to buy a Clio sport and mod it, but I keep thinking is it worth it, now I have seen this....it is definitely back on the cards! Haha.

Doooooo it!! lol

Thing is you can pick up a reasonable one for £1k for a MKI and £2k for a decent MKII. Plus it doesn't take a lot to make them look even better, faster and tighten up the handling. :)

Thats what I was thinking, I have been looking and seen some decent ones for £1-2k. Get a holiday booked first and then I am seriously going to consider it :D

Hehe glad to hear it! :)

All I'd say is look for one that has had the cambelt and dephaser done. I had no idea what a dephaser was until my engine sounded rough, drove fine but didn't sound right. It's the same labour costs as a cam belt change to swap the dephaser so something to consider. :)

Yeah Iceberg silver is a blood colour as its got a blue tint to it plus it looks clean even when its dirty haha.

I do like them in blue as I believe its the same as the Clio Williams blue. Also the stock silver wheels suit them perfectly.

My favourite colour is flame red though. :)

I had one in Monaco Blue, which a lot of people refer to as Williams blue.
Its a nice colour, pearlescent too. Glows purpley in the sunlight.

Good work for a banger Alex :)

Alex_225":gqp86igr said:
Yeah Iceberg silver is a blood colour as its got a blue tint to it plus it looks clean even when its dirty haha.

Mate of mine had one in Iceberg. Turner172 off Cliosport, you might remember he used to make loads of the clutch footrests.

I still have all the design details of them if you need one ;-)

I fully detailed and machine polished his Iceberg and that had black 172 alloys on. It looked nice when it was done.

Mrs's Racing Blue 182 takes some beating in the looks stakes though.
I wanted one just like it but at the time could only afford a second hand 172.