Silverstone Oil Change

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, changed oil and filter this weekend @ 1500 miles, not strictly necessary of course with modern hi-tech oils, but it gives me more confidence to explore the full performance of the car. Here's a quick guide:-
( sorry no pics as I can't resize them to 600 x 800 )
1. Use Renault filter and Elf oil (same stuff as your "free" 1 litre supplied with the motor) keep receipts. You will also need a 1/4" or 3/8" drive cannister oil filter removal tool - you could possibly move the filter by driving a large screwdriver through the cannister, but this is not recommended as metal particles could get into the engine.
2. Transmission uses ELF Tranself TRJ 75w80 or NFJ 75w 80
3. Run engine up to temperature.
4. Unless you are really slim, you will need to jack up front of car.
5. Remove under tray - 2 sizes of torx bolts and 1 mushroom headed plastic plug and one captive plug at rear.
6. Disconnect and isolate negative terminal of battery.
7. Drain oil ( square section plug in centre of sump )
8. Remove alloy strut between engine block and alternator to help reach the filter.
9. Remove filter with tool - factory must use trained gorillas to fit these initially; you will not loosen without tool.
10. Fit new filter with smear of oil on rubber gasket, firm hand tight is fine here. Fill with 5 litres of 5w40.
11. Replace sump plug - careful not to strip thread, torque to 25 Nm max.
12. Check trans. oil by removing the nylon threaded bung from front of gearbox - I made a little hardwood slotted tool to loosen it without damaging the plastic. I found it only needed around 20cc of oil to fill.
Reconnect battery - I did this with side lights on to absorb any possible spikes that may affect the ECU but all was fine. Reassemble, run engine and check level - I needed around 100cc to bring level to max.

6. Disconnect and isolate negative terminal of battery.
I like this one, which people would probably discount... Your going to be waving a ratchet, large socket and oily filter about, next to the alternator and starter motor wiring terminals.

With the battery connected, short one of the terminals to earth and you would know about it :(