Settling Period For Lowering Springs - Is there one ?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSB101

Reaction score
I'm sure again this topic has been covered. Just had some Spax lowering springs fitted - question if there is one how long is the settling time with them and also how long before i have alignment tested?

Only driven car 30miles since fitting but noticed a small knocking noise from front passengers side its intermittent ( is this the springs settling or something that needs looking eg : alignment / top mounts etc )

Cheers

I leave my cars a week to settle which i think is the right amount of time, the knocking from the front won't be because of settling it could be top mounts or the dreaded ball joints issue which is a very common fault on these cars.

waitey":104bvu38 said:
I leave my cars a week to settle which i think is the right amount of time, the knocking from the front won't be because of settling it could be top mounts or the dreaded ball joints issue which is a very common fault on these cars.
Cheers for the reply waitey !! Great sounds like more money loss :/

it's recommended that the settling in period for a spring is 2-3,000 miles or 4-6 weeks. check to see that the spring is sat correctly in the perch, if it isn't it will be sliding around on it's axis and will click and knock. you can figure out wether it would be the top mount by turning the car from lock to lock whilst stationary and having a friend put his ear up to the top mount to listen for any abnormal bearing noise but i'd actually gurantee you the springs not sitting correctly!

I had the same problem when I lowered my car on coilovers. Knocking from the front stopped as soon as I fitted KTR top suspension mounts.

James-Hilton":2eb9a0wj said:
I had the same problem when I lowered my car on coilovers. Knocking from the front stopped as soon as I fitted KTR top suspension mounts.

Thread hijack as I think you have disabled PM's james, how you finding the stage 1 cams?

Haha! Yeah I don't know why PM's were blocked on my account. I've just changed it anyway.

They added a healthy 12bhp. With a couple of other mods I've had done as well I'm sitting around the 160bhp mark but I'm planning on ITBs and then another map.

They make the car quite a lot louder which for me isn't a problem and the only bad point about them is I have a very small flat spot around 3,000 rpm. I seem to remember Neil mentioned he had a similar problem. Other than that I'm really happy with them. Along with everything else on the car I've shocked a few fast cars. :cool:

James-Hilton":16ljbi1g said:
Haha! Yeah I don't know why PM's were blocked on my account. I've just changed it anyway.

They added a healthy 12bhp. With a couple of other mods I've had done as well I'm sitting around the 160bhp mark but I'm planning on ITBs and then another map.

They make the car quite a lot louder which for me isn't a problem and the only bad point about them is I have a very small flat spot around 3,000 rpm. I seem to remember Neil mentioned he had a similar problem. Other than that I'm really happy with them. Along with everything else on the car I've shocked a few fast cars. :cool:

awesome :cool: please start a progress thread!

I'll start one once the spring is here and I've stuck a few other goodies on Stella. That's the name of my car by the way. :lol:

oscar":3rw9tm46 said:
it's recommended that the settling in period for a spring is 2-3,000 miles or 4-6 weeks. check to see that the spring is sat correctly in the perch, if it isn't it will be sliding around on it's axis and will click and knock. you can figure out wether it would be the top mount by turning the car from lock to lock whilst stationary and having a friend put his ear up to the top mount to listen for any abnormal bearing noise but i'd actually gurantee you the springs not sitting correctly!

Cheers oscar had alignment done today and will have it done again in a month , taking car into 20 Ten Racing Monday for them to check it out again.