Servicing Dilemma

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calolsen

Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked before but I need something clearing up.
Cam & Aux Belt service, when should it be done? My service manual says every service should be every 12 months or every 12,000 miles whichever comes sooner.
So could you tell me if my major service should be 72,000 miles or 5 yrs? Or would it be 72,000 or 6 yrs? I only ask as my car is coming up for 5 yrs old in September and it has only covered 13,000 miles so I don't really want to spend lots of cash if I don't have to yet.

From what I've picked up it should be done every 5 years or 72k miles. But I only have a 1.2 16v so I'll let the others give the proper figures.

How have you got a 5 year old 133 with only 13,000 miles on it :p weekend car?

Dubz":3kg53seq said:
From what I've picked up it should be done every 5 years or 72k miles. But I only have a 1.2 16v so I'll let the others give the proper figures.

How have you got a 5 year old 133 with only 13,000 miles on it :p weekend car?

Well I only use it 2 out of every 3 weeks and mainly to and from work which is only 8 miles a day. I use the wife's car for the 3rd week when I'm on nights.

I understand whichever is sooner but if servicing intervals are 1 year or 12,000 miles then surely 5 years equates to 60,000 miles? 6 years - 72,000 miles?

calolsen":3cv9hmi9 said:
I understand whichever is sooner but if servicing intervals are 1 year or 12,000 miles then surely 5 years equates to 60,000 miles? 6 years - 72,000 miles?

Yes it can and can't I suppose, personally i don't do 12k per year so I service my cars once a year and get belts done on the 5th year, my parents do about 20k per year so understandably they service their car alot more frequently.

With belts i wouldn't want to wait 6 years with such an important thing i would do them whichever is sooner to be on the safe side.

calolsen":24l3cuux said:
Its a set of mechanical components, hence 72k milage. Theres also rubber components which degrade due to age, hence a backstop date of 5 years.

At the least, get the belts checked for signs of perishing at 5 year service and definitely change them at the 6th. Check KTR facebook page from arround 23rd May for a lucky escape ;)

Infact, new cams and belt offer from ktr :?

Thanks for that guys, think ill just get them done in September on 5 yr service.
Won't be cheap, think I need 4 new tyres too. Ouch!