Running In

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I would appreciate any information on this - I am progessively increasing revs from around 3.5k to 5k over the first 500 miles 60-70% throttle max according to the monitor, and plan to reach the magic 7k/100% after an oil and filter at 1000 miles. Am I being over-cautious ?!,

Kind regards, Den

Perhaps. Some say it doesn't need it but regular maintenance extends vehicle life. Some claim rubbish about being bed in a the factory is enough. Some say treat it carefully. Do you plan on owning the car longer than a few years as any negligent effects are probably not gonna be felt by you if not ;)

Tbh my rule is keep the revs down until warmed up and for the first 600 miles I took It easy (mostly because the m25 wouldn't lemme :lol:)

I doubt you'll get a lot of information on a forum. Just a lot of opinion

Just in general don't rev the nuts off it when cold you will screw it that way.

I've run in all of the cars I've had from new for the first 1k or so.

Usually aim for 3,500rpm max for the first 600 miles, then gradually build up to revving it more towards the 1,000 miles mark. That's just me though as I like to take the side of caution and don't see any harm in running the car in although some may argue it.

That said, many people just get in their car, drive it normally from cold and the oil gets checked each service and that's it. In fact that probably makes up 99% of the drivers on the road so it's mainly up to you. :)

Not sure if that helps but chances are your car will be fine as long as you don't rev high from cold but running in seems divide opinion.

Hi, many thanx guys, I'll try to restrain myself until 1000 miles - seeing the shift light flashing on the way home from the showroom on Tesco's finest 95 octane wasn't such a good idea !.

My 172 / 182 & my 197 were all brand new & driven hard from day one.. The twingo lump will be the same as the others & there built to rev.. All of the above engines never really opened up till about 12k & from new there as tight as a drum .. Like the others said as long as you don't gun it from cold there fine..
& all of the above clios I never had a problem engine wise..

How can you tell the difference ??? Modern engines are over engineered & renault sport ones & Honda as well as others are built to rev.. My work car a Peugeot 308 on an 09 plate started with 80 miles on the clock now has 80000 ragged from day one & has never missed a beat..
Plus you have a rev limiter so you can never over rev it..
I'm not endorsing the fact of thrashing it I'm just saying it won't harm it ..

You may find Renault invest millions in engine development & run engines full chat for weeks on end to test its life expectancy .. & when all cars are built they run them up on rollers to check everything's working . So I would say your twingo was run up to 7 grand with zero miles on it & from cold..
I always let mine get up to temp & I bought it to drive it .. & if something goes wrong I just take it back to the stealers.. & yes they hate me at mine local one.. But I have bought a lot of cars from there & they always fix it..

Dec I agree with u but I live not far from silverstone & the first chance I get at a track day I'm on it.. I'm a bit to old for traffic light gran prix but u can't beat a good thrash around the country lanes.. Each to there own I guess..

Mr slippyfist":2mzus2r2 said:
Dec I agree with u but I live not far from silverstone & the first chance I get at a track day I'm on it..
Therefore you're not far from Donny there's a TD on 26th Feb ;)

Anyhoo back on topic.....

To be honest, a 'ragged' car and a car driven hard are two different things.

Let's face it most cars get driven quite hard and most engines are designed to rev to near their limiter. I've seen Ford running an ST engine on full revs for 3 months and equivalent of 150k without a problem. A bit of intermittent high revving will do it no harm, in fact now and again it'd do an engine good to clear the crap out with a bit of a blast.

You could buy a car that gets the odd bit of spirited driving but if it is warmed up and driven correctly it will do no harm. A car that is 'ragged' is a car that's driven hard from cold by someone with poor car control, not servicing it properly, not checking oil/tyres etc.

Some of the worst drivers may not take their car over 4.000rpm but they could ride the clutch, hit kerbs, not service their car etc. That's a car I wouldn't want to own. The same goes for a chav that gets in their car, takes the car to 6,500rpm from cold on every gear change, never washes the road salt off, hits pot holes etc etc. Again I wouldn't want a car like that either.

A balance of driving properly, warming the car up, servicing and general caring for the car plus the odd bit of spirited driving with the revs going a bit higher is ideal. That's how I do it anyway! haha

manofhow":29s8ltxg said:
i normally leave mine until the oil is not reading <70 ......
How do you know the temp? Have you got a an oil temp guage?

Does that record oil temp? Hmmmmm.... That means there's a temp sender somewhere within the oil system to be able to be read by the ECU.....

I forget I have the fat free racing snake version :lol:

decbolton":tqmtm3v6 said:
how hot does your oil need to be for it to be warm? my dad personally never drives a car hard until its been driven about 10 miles

It's partly down to time as well. For example you set off and within a minute you're on a motorway doing 60, 10 miles is obviously only 10 minutes.

I'd be inclined to give the car 15 minutes+ driving before raising the revs. I wouldn't be happy giving it the full beans until I know the engine is properly warm so a decent 20 minutes I reckon. :)

It's a shame the Twingo didn't come with a cold rev limited like the RS Meganes. Apparently you can't rev over 4k rpm if it's cold, not tried it but it's a good engine safety feature.