need your help wizards

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 980

Reaction score
Changed my alloys yesterday , perfect fit. However, there is a creek coming from the back left. What could this be?
I've backed off all the bolts this morning and made sure the alloy was centred and did the bolts up a bit at a time.

Its not a scrapping sound, definitely more of a creek than a knock

Mines has started doing this recently at crawling speed, I was informed by a couple of mechanic mates that it sounds like a brake wear indicator but I'm not so sure, it's whilst I'm moving, not braking...

funky_d":gw1i0dl2 said:
Mines has started doing this recently at crawling speed, I was informed by a couple of mechanic mates that it sounds like a brake wear indicator but I'm not so sure, it's whilst I'm moving, not braking...
I don't think the Twingo pads have the wear indicator clips. Maybe worth while giving the pads some attention to make sure they aren't binding in the carrier or any grit caught between the pad and disc.

Creaking rear. Check the rear springs as Gordy recently posted that one of his rear springs had snapped :(
Boot seal creaking against the boot lid?

My back discs and pads are fine checked them yesterday as a precaution.
Still doing it, its strange as the other 3 wheels are perfect. I actually thought it was the interior trim making a loud noise at first but it definitely isn't. I'm wondering if a part of the suspension has been disturbed when changing the wheels :s

Clearance is fine, wheel weights are nowhere near any other parts.

I'd say it is suspension related rather than brakes.

Hmm I'll have a look at the boot but I'm 90% sure it coming from the wheel area. Springs looked okay too, I had a good rumage and feel

mine was doing this a few months ago (slight squeaking at low speed) I checked the clearance of the pads they were fine so i just left it be and now it's stopped :)

Not something daft like a loose wheel bolt? That can cause a knock.

Right, today I've swapped the wheels around, and the noise stayed in the left rear of the car. I stripped the seats out, the parcel shelf, and checked it wasn't the boot causing the creaking. Non of the previous solved the creaking/knocking sound!!!!!

I removed the rear trim plastic/carpet. The top mount looked visibly okay (I don't know what to look for as signs of an issue?)
I had a good look at the springs and there are no cracks. I pulled down the plastic cover on the shock (should this move? I didn't pull the cover down with any force) I took some pictures as I'm not sure what I was looking at, as you can see the rubber looks perished and broken
As I've said, definitely from the suspension area not the brakes.

2n85vk3.jpg

qod3lu.jpg

autc9z.jpg

Undo the top mount, iirc 21mm spanner and 5/6mm allen key to hold the centre (although I only needed that on one side).

Take a look at the rubber itself. I'll go get a pic of mine in a second for you

Does that look okay?
If that rubber is okay, then what could it be :? :?
It's just strange how its occurred during the removal and fitting of alloys (no noises before with the old alloys, then straight after I changed them, now creaking/knocking from left rear suspension). :(

I can't see on my phone.

But if you're happy it's all done up right, the springs sat right and hasn't broken etc then add a dab of grease as you refit it all.

As I said, mine was worse on the underside but its packaged up and I didn't have any tools out to undo the nut

Well the creaking from the left rear has never gone away, any bumps or just general driving and it makes lots of creaking/knocking noises.

Replaced a boot strut today which cured one of the knocking sounds. I put the rear seats and seatbelts back in today but before I did I stripped down the interior plastics and removed everything. Went for a drive and the sounds were still there.
Grabbed the left rear wheel with both hands and when I shuck it you could hear a creak from behind the wheel (car was on the floor not jacked up). Noise came from behind the centre of the wheel. What could it be? Ruled out the top mounts now as its towards the bottom of the suspension. Really need to get the wheel off and have a look

Disconnect the lower end of the damper and the top mount as well. Then, you will be able remove the whole thing and see how the strut feels. Even remove both for comparing both sides.

Bounce the rear end to see if it still creaks :?

Keep the dampers the same way up and, It should extend quite freely as they are gas filled and should take a fair force to compress it against the gas pressure and the damping action.

Any evidence of the damping oil having leaked out from around where the piston is, or a lack of gas pressure means the damper needs replacing. The protective sleeve and blue bump stop can slide up and down the piston rod and be removed.

I've got the knocking sound coming from mine, started last night and hasn't stopped since, Really annoying me!!

Dan133":155ozmbm said:
I've got the knocking sound coming from mine, started last night and hasn't stopped since, Really annoying me!!

you checked to make sure it's not the boot? Worth a quick check.