Momo Mod.30 steering wheel

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what your saying is, if you have something that Is clearly going to fail an MOT. No matter what it is, the police can not do anything, such as enforce a retest?

well, if you want to be strict about it then going by the book of the law, every modification regardless of size or relevance is illegal according to the construction and use act. any police officer could pull you over, and do you for even putting non OEM car mats in as the car is now not what the manufacturer intended it to be ... but if you find me one police officer who's ever bothered about this in history then you'll have done a good job :)

those rules and laws get ignored frequently, also by insurance companies. they cannot enforce a retest if there is an engineering certificate to prove that the wheel in question was manufactured to work with your car, meeting the relevant safety standards that it was build to. again, what police officers going to do that?

you'll be more than fine mate. police officers 9.999 out of 10 are keen car enthusiasts too. especially when it's declared to insurance, and your tax / mot / insurance is up to date then you're going to be spot on. the only thing you need to adhere to is passing the MOT, and if you think that going to a dodgy MOT guy that a mate of a mate's mate knows then you're only going to end up in a world of shit. people seem to forget that the MOT is a safety issue, i would be strict to the book on every MOT i done if i wanted to lower myself to doing MOT's ;)

Hey Oscar, I declare all my mods to my insurance company and the steering wheel will be no different. From what you said earlier even if I sort the airbag lights its still technically an MOT failure. It does sound like a good thing to do though as I don't want to bodge anything. My first MOT is in December so I have a little bit of time to play with. Thanks for the heads up though.

Oh and I should add that I do fully realise removing the airbags reduces the safety of my car. It's a choice and compromise I've made. I figure I'm still safer in my car without airbags than on a motorcycle or probably even cycling on the road. Everything in life is relative.

oscar":14sh54kz said:
well, if you want to be strict about it then going by the book of the law, every modification regardless of size or relevance is illegal according to the construction and use act. any police officer could pull you over, and do you for even putting non OEM car mats in as the car is now not what the manufacturer intended it to be ... but if you find me one police officer who's ever bothered about this in history then you'll have done a good job :)

those rules and laws get ignored frequently, also by insurance companies. they cannot enforce a retest if there is an engineering certificate to prove that the wheel in question was manufactured to work with your car, meeting the relevant safety standards that it was build to. again, what police officers going to do that?

you'll be more than fine mate. police officers 9.999 out of 10 are keen car enthusiasts too. especially when it's declared to insurance, and your tax / mot / insurance is up to date then you're going to be spot on. the only thing you need to adhere to is passing the MOT, and if you think that going to a dodgy MOT guy that a mate of a mate's mate knows then you're only going to end up in a world of s**t. people seem to forget that the MOT is a safety issue, i would be strict to the book on every MOT i done if i wanted to lower myself to doing MOT's ;)

Great response. :) It is just an interesting point in my opinion.

Great service from the guys at Merlin. Purchased from their online store on Sunday evening and it arrived Tuesday. Should be able to get it fitted over the weekend :)

14075828034_c29886a694_c.jpg

Stunty":o80ffd53 said:
Great service from the guys at Merlin. Purchased from their online store on Sunday evening and it arrived Tuesday. Should be able to get it fitted over the weekend :)

14075828034_c29886a694_c.jpg

Look forward to see some pic's of this fitted!.. Did you get the necessary Boss to fit it?

You've tempted me! ;)

Yeah got the MOM7218R boss kit to go with it.

I'll post a pic or two when fitted. Oh and by then I should have another small but cool looking interior item I'll post a pic of at the same time :)

Stunty":3v3z0ryk said:
Hey Oscar, I declare all my mods to my insurance company and the steering wheel will be no different. From what you said earlier even if I sort the airbag lights its still technically an MOT failure. It does sound like a good thing to do though as I don't want to bodge anything. My first MOT is in December so I have a little bit of time to play with. Thanks for the heads up though.

Oh and I should add that I do fully realise removing the airbags reduces the safety of my car. It's a choice and compromise I've made. I figure I'm still safer in my car without airbags than on a motorcycle or probably even cycling on the road. Everything in life is relative.

my drivers wheel airbag has an re-occurring fault were it'll stop the airbag from being deployed if needed. Am currently taking this up with renault as its a safety flaw and not a warranty issue.
I've currently got a brace bar bolted down to allow me to use a harness system, with that also bolted into the current seat belt bolts.
Quick chat with the police, yes its an MOT fail, and whilst they have seen im 100% safe (or the harness and bar is doing the same job as the airbag), id still need to resistor the wheel airbag so the light doesn't come on. In theory, they could stop me driving the car if they pull me up . They dont like the words, Faulty airbag or its not there..
I know its a different situation to yours being removed, but i hope you've bolted a harness well!!!

I don't think the police could stop you driving it like that. They could issue a ticket for it to be inspected at an MOT station.

VOSA officers may be able to??? From working in the garage, I know they carry more clout on something being driven or trailered off from a check

singlespeed":3pmnvu9q said:
I don't think the police could stop you driving it like that. They could issue a ticket for it to be inspected at an MOT station.

VOSA officers may be able to??? From working in the garage, I know they carry more clout on something being driven or trailered off from a check

For the police i just meant if you happened to be pulled over for speeding etc etc, but VOSA would if they could.

This is why i hate modern cars, including the twingo turning on the spanner light for a service. Any time you mention it to someone they just think your lieing lol

Cops here in Belgium can tell you that the car is unsafe, call in a tow truck and have it brought to a MOT station.
I've heard stories of people being stalked by unmarked police cars all the way up to their driveway because they have a hunch that the car is 'unsafe'.
Think it's strange how they act like you're some criminal.

so if you want to handle the police at the roadside .... you should watch this video :)
yes it's all real and legit. the guy's a lawyer in bonnybridge - scotland. hopefully you can all make out the scottish accent :D

[youtube]A3Bt54bATIE[/youtube]

Fitted without any issues. Turns out you don't need to disconnect the battery when removing the steering wheel, but just have the ignition off. I was told that you could drop the Twingo off a cliff and the airbags wouldn't go off if the ignition wasn't on. This made it easier to remove the wheel and airbag.

13991944550_9ee1484338_b.jpg

13991958869_fcfde81fd5_b.jpg

And the other little touch I mentioned was a pair of these ordered through Amazon. Because the seats are a touch lower than standard the seatbelt was rubbing on the girlfriends neck (she's only small) so they were not just for decoration. They are nicely stitched and very happy with them. You can find them here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BWQEG8S/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You can order them with white sticking too.

13991961949_afe08076d9_b.jpg

hahaha thank you! i've been saying this to folk for years and years. why the hell do people think that you need to disconnect the battery and then wait 30 minutes for them to ..... to what? exactly! most of the people who tell people to do this, don't have a clue why they need to wait 30 minutes which is something that really annoys me. airbags only go off when they have an ignition feed completing the circuit, and every renault / peugeot / bmw / nissan / mercedes / dacia / citroen / toyota / honda etc etc i've ever worked on with airbags, i've never had to disconnect the battery lol. it's a failsafe device, therefore should a certain wire come loose ... it will not trigger itself when you're casually driving to your grans out of the blue! :)

when i done my scoob seats in my gt i didn't even have the key in the ignition to be fair, and may i add .... that looks pretty blooming smart!

This looks excellent. Tempting me to get a steering wheel myself! How much extra on insurance and how easy to change back for MOt?

Stereo looks really good is that the Parrot Bluetooth option stereo?

The steering wheel only cost me an admin fee. Adrian Flux seem very good with mods. And the standard wheel can be put back on in ten minutes. It really was very easy and even the resistor for the airbag was plug and play. There was no soldering or even crimping to be done.

My stereo is a Parrot Asteroid Classic NOT the optional bluetooth thing Renault offered. It has a android based operating system and was actually pretty terrible when I bought it about 18 months ago. It used to crash and reset a lot which in itself is quite annoying, but worse than that it used to make a LOUD popping sound when it happened. Anyway, since then Parrot have released many software updates and it's now excellent. I bought it originally because the design looked like it could have come standard in the vehicle. I didn't want something with lots of chavtastic flashing lights. It connects seamlessly with my iPhone and has excellent voice recognition for making calls - i really like it. That fancy new 2 seater Alfa Romeo sports car has it fitted as standard.

Love the wheel. Really like the head unit too, might have to look in to getting one for myself! Been trying to find a nice plain option rather than the flashy chavtastic ones you mentioned