Momo Mod.30 steering wheel

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stunty

Reaction score
Hi guys,

There is so much I want to do to my car but unfortunately it has to be done one steady steady step at a time. One of the things that most annoys me about the Twingo is the ridiculously large steering wheel. I actually think its quite comfy to hold but nobody could argue its the coolest looking thing.

So with that in mind this is the one I'm thinking of ordering. However you can order the Mod.30 with or without the red buttons. I'd really like to order it with the red buttons but does anybody know how easy it is to wire the horn to them? Is this something Ktec could do quite easily? If nobody knows I guess I'll ping them an email :)

13891569564_ce8e0d10fe_b.jpg

ktec? can you feel that i'm arching the slap hand back to slap you? lol just kidding man :)

have you done any soldering before, or crimping wires (like you'd do with speaker connections in cars etc) ???
if you have, then all you need to do is crimp / solder the 2 or 3 horn wires into the new horn button (or whatever it is going to be) and you're good to go. any local garage can do this for you, basic wiring is the bread and butter of any mechanic.

i would advise though to check the new SRS airbag MOT laws that came into play early last year / early this year regarding steering wheel airbags. if SRS airbags were fitted from factoy and they are missing on MOT day, it's now an MOT fail. exeptions are made for group N and street legal race / rally cars with fully stripped interiors etc .... just a word of warning not trying to put you off mate. 50% of MOT testers will overlook it anyway :) i know ours does haha

Haha I didn't mean just taking the steering wheel to Ktec for them to wire the horn buttons. I'd order it through Ktec and ask them to fit it. I'm afraid my mechanic skills max out at topping up the wash fluid and checking tyre pressures LOL :/

Didn't know about the new MOT law. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for no issues.

Thanks for the advice.

haha no worries mate, you'd be cheaper to have it fitted locally though. i couldn't see any advantage ktec would have over your local garages mate, and it's going to be much cheaper :D also save you a fair bit on fuel i'd bet from oxford to ktec and back

drive to glasgow i'll fit it if you're buying us a big mac in payment? :) pics when it's fitted either way, it's a really nice steering wheel man

Woah, woah, woah. Why are we talking about turning read buttons on a steering wheel into a horn? I think you need to go watch the fast and furious films then re think this thread......

As Maggi said why do you even want it on he wheel instead of the stalk?
Nos, nos, nos, nos............

singlespeed":163tbvei said:
Launch control button :)

Just leave the horn button on the stalk where it is.
Yes!!!!
Left button nos and the right can be launch control

James my car doesn't have cruise control. Do any pre-facelift Twingo's? But perhaps I could wire the RS monitor to it instead? It only uses two buttons to activate and access all the functions. Hmmmm...

And fried chicken it wasn't so much wanting the horn to work through the buttons as wanting the buttons. I think they look good and match the red theme in the car. Yep linking them to the RS monitor is the way to go me thinks :)

Oh and Oscar I quite like a trip down to Ktec. They are only about 1h30m from me so it's not too far. Would be good to see their new premises too. To get to Glasgow is about 6 hours but thanks for the thought.

Left Button - Bring Up sights,

Right Button - FIIIIIIIIIIRE!!!!!

Bought this without the red buttons today from Merlin Motorsport (with Momo boss). They were about £20 cheaper than anywhere else on the web. I didn't realise but the red buttons do have an image of a horn on them. So it would be pretty strange wiring them to anything else.

I can't see any guides on changing the steering wheel in the 'How To' pages. Does anybody have any tips or things to be careful with?

Disconnect the battery. Two clips on the back of the steering wheel, get a flat blades screwdriver in and pop them out. To be able to get to them you'll probably need to turn the wheel each way, which is fun when you don't have power steering haha.

Airbag can then be pulled away but make sure you unclip the one clip from the back of it.

Then it's just one t50 torx bolt holding it on.

Oh you'll also need resistors for the airbag light unless you're going to get it deactivated via clip

Thanks for the advice Mark that will help a lot.

When GSM Motorsports fitted my seats they also fitted the resistors for the airbags. However about a week after fitting the air bag light came on. Instead of doing a 200 mile round trip for them to fix it I 'innovated' and put a piece of black electrical tape over the light. Unless you're looking for it you can't see the tape as it blends in nicely. Point being I don't need to worry about the resistor for the steering wheel airbag.

I'll post a pic in this thread when it's fitted :)

you realise that's an instant MOT fail stunty? an MOT tester looks for 2 things, firstly the light to come on when the ignition is turned on and secondly for the light to go out as normal once the engine has started and the ECU has finnished running it's start up sequence of checks.

if he can't see the light come on in the first place, you will be instantly failed unless you know a dodgy MOT tester who will pass it for you. a car which is fitted with airbags from factory must have all the airbags present and working, the only exceptions are for road legal race and rally cars with interior strips. good luck on your next MOT!

It was mentioned earlier. The outcome was hoping for the best. Can the police pull you for it, just wondering?

nah the police can't pull you for having a steering wheel, think about that one again roberts lol. maybe if you didn't have a steering wheel ;)

no but i know what you. that would be an issue for insurance purposes, declare the new aftermarket steering wheel with insurance. only problem that may occur is that some insurance companies may refuse it, so might need to switch to modification friendly insurance companies