Mileage odometer reset to 0

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJakes

Reaction score
Had the 133 Silverstone in at the dealers today for a replacement dash display. When I dropped it off it had 6750 miles on the clock, when I picked it up, the mileage was 2 miles. I thought it was just the trip counter that had been reset due to a battery disconnection or similar, but when I cycle the display, it shows 2 miles total, 2.2 miles trip, 18000 to next service.
Two questions.
1. How did this happen? Would replacing the dash display cause this.
2. Should I call them and let them know? Or leave it and be pleased a 2 year old car only has 2 miles on the clock!

The jakes :cool:

Tbh if it hasn't been in for its first MOT I wouldn't be worried as any VOSA check goes off the mot history ;-)

2 is illegal and and the mileage will have been recorded as soon as they've done any kind of work on it as that's common practice so if you try to sell it later on with the incorrect mileage the new owner can release a whole world of shitstorm ontop of you through the office of fair trading and other laws.

Let's them know that the mileage has been reset and they will fix it

the odometer is just a simple EEPROM system. in actual fact, it's not illegal whatsoever to drive around with 0 miles on the dashboard now as nobody has wound back the miles or tampered with the mileage, no foul play has happened. you can easily go into the ECU and find the true mileage of the car so that it can be calibrated to it's true odometer reading. take it back to the dealership and tell them to correct this for you at no cost to yourself as this should have been done as part of the job

I'd tell the garage and get them to sort, ask for reduction on your next service by way of your loss of time/expense.

Otherwise if you intend to defraud it's a 'clocked car'. If caught out the shitstorm mentioned above would include a 30 minute appearance in front of the Magistrate and for a first offence probably a fine and 50-100 hour community order, or on a bad day the inglorious opportunity of a few weeks sharing communal showers with a big hairy tattooed man called Big Dave.

....Although I see you live on Jersey and to be fair Bergerac is probably too busy pulling another body out of Charlie Hungerford's pool. (Showing my age).

OK, I have told the dealer. They said they knew it had been reset but it always happens when they replace a dash panel and there is nothing they can do to set it back to the correct mileage. I argued that they replaced it a year ago and it did not get reset then. (Unless they did not actually replace it that time, as it has re occurred 10 months later!) I asked what I do if I want to sell it, they said any Renault Garage in Europe can find out the mileage when it was replaced. But If I don't sell it to a Renault dealership, I guess if I tell them it happened, I should be OK?????

tell them that you want a certificate of some sorts, or a printed and signed document with a stamp for the work carried out specifying the work carried out and the problem with the odometer replacement so that ANYONE phoning up can confirm with the dealership that this work was carried out. DO NOT accept anything other than what i said above!

I'd be getting them to set the mileage to what it should be the bell ends