looking for a twingo gt

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemon191

Reaction score
hey guys looking for a new car after new years with a budget of roughtly 3.5k
wants: fuel eco (do short journeys on 60mph roads so diesel is a no) , nippy (currently own a corsa c 1L so anything is gonna be quicker lol) and looks nice/abit sporty and around 40k milage

the twingo seems to fit the bill but i was wondering a few things.
i like the the look of the gt and it comes up abit quicker against the dynamic versions but is the gt reliable? any common / expensive problems crop up? and whats the road noise like? would like something on par with my current corsa

cheers
lemon

lemon191":tqfq4cnj said:
hey guys looking for a new car after new years with a budget of roughtly 3.5k
wants: fuel eco (do short journeys on 60mph roads so diesel is a no) , nippy (currently own a corsa c 1L so anything is gonna be quicker lol) and looks nice/abit sporty and around 40k milage

the twingo seems to fit the bill but i was wondering a few things.
i like the the look of the gt and it comes up abit quicker against the dynamic versions but is the gt reliable? any common / expensive problems crop up? and whats the road noise like? would like something on par with my current corsa

cheers
lemon

Dependant on location you can pick up a twingo for around 3-4k with FSH sub 40k miles so that will save you on your major service at 60,000-80,000 mpg wise I get around 50mpg from mine (mainly motorway) but spirited driving around 35-40 roughly, the twingo is undoubtably a quick car faster than your average 1.4-1.6 and some underpowered 2.0 cars with increased economy, reliability wise your only looking at standard wear and tear only thing to look out for is a leaky bonnet look for any water on the engine/turbo covers, I also traded in my corsa 1.0 for this car and the difference is instantly clear pulls good to 60 but hasn't got the punch of larger engined cars beyond that making it a perfect city car the road noise is fair my car is very noisy as it has low profile tyres but with a good set of Eco tyres etc you'd have minimum road noise and it is a much better ride even with the stiffer sports suspension as you tend not to bounce all over the place which made long journeys in my corsa tiring.

Servicing every 12k is a bonus too

Here is a link to some FAQs

introduce-yourself/faq-links-the-usual-questions-which-keep-recuring-t6434.html

Here is my GT for inspiration

2u2amyze.jpg

cheers bud i did read the faq a while ago just didnt know if there was anything new or specific to the gt that i should be aware of.

Nothing in particular, just give it a test run Listen for any Knocks, anything major just walk away, not a car that's riddled with known problems really little history diggings good too, make sure the clutch doesn't slip etc because some over remapped cars have been known to beat the clutch up other than that a really good and seriously underrated car

No real important common problems specific to the GT as the ball joint issue was really only the RS versions.

Avoid modified ones as when you start to mod a GT lots of little things start to crop up, clutch is stupidly weak for starters and if it was remapped with standard injectors they'll be running a very high duty cycle which isn't a preferred thing.

Only things I can think to test on standard ones is start it up when cold and see if it actually starts as some have had an unknown starting issue in cold weather, also drive it cold and accelerate from a lowish RPM as again many twingos in general have suffered from kangerooing which can be fixed from getting an uploaded map from renault.

Power wise its on par with a 1.4 and not really many 1.6s or 2.0s at all standard powers about 100hp and 115lbs/ft with a quoted 0-62 of around 9.9 seconds and economy can be good or bad, if you drive sprite fully you won't see above 35mpg, if you drive like a granny you may see 50mpg, renault are shit for their claimed mpg I've found.

Other than that its general any car things, if its 5 years old or 72000 miles I think has it had the belts replaced? Has it been well serviced? I like to check if all 4 tyres are of a good brand and are all the same and have good tread, if they do then the car most likely will have been well looked after.

Edit: if you buy a blaze orange with reg CA08ZSO let me know, I still have the standard injectors somewhere! :lol:

cheers guys , not a fan of the orange personaly will be looking for a blue or the silver/grey colour tbh
when you say look out for mods are you talking anything from wheels - engine bay or just engine bay items ? as these cars seem quite popular to youg people id imagine quite a few will have been played with !

lemon191":tbztvwnr said:
cheers guys , not a fan of the orange personaly will be looking for a blue or the silver/grey colour tbh
when you say look out for mods are you talking anything from wheels - engine bay or just engine bay items ? as these cars seem quite popular to youg people id imagine quite a few will have been played with !

Yeah any modifications within the engine, wheels and things like that don't always show signs of being with a bad owner, my parents still put aftermarket alloys on so do most people here, you could probably tell though by looking at the condition of the wheels if their shocking then you can kind of guess the carefulness of the owner, people here may be able to tell you how to check for changes in the engine unfortunately I can't, paperwork/receipts may show

in my experience the engines are bullet proof, my old mapped GT with 120bhp and 145lbft took a pasting every day without any issues, as does my current Gordini TCE.

gearboxes seem reliable enough although they aint the best box in the world to use!

twingo in general is very reliable, its a matured clio 2 most of which was already 11-12yrs old by the time they started producing the twingo!

You won't be disappointed with the performance, the twingo and the corsa are miles apart! My girlfriend has a 1L corsa and it's scary how little power they have :O
Imo, In the twingo, the road noise is about the same, fuel consumption isn't much worse, and it's more reliable, although when they do break it's more expensive to fix
Or alternatively, you could always just z20let the C? ;)