Jacking up...

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggi200

Reaction score
Now when jacking up and using axle stands I've always been careful to avoid using the sills, even the reinforced points. Need I worry about them? Or should I avoid?

I don't have fancy jacks/stands that aren't flat.

I intend to have the car off its wheels all weekend and the suspension off

Never jacked my car up myself, don't trust myself on where to jack it up as on my first car I used the reinforced point where it said to and it just bent completely.

Same on my GT when fitting spacers, on the reinforced point but it was so cringing to watch.

When jacked up, for your own safey, place the wheels underneath your car.

If the jack would fail, it will only chrush the wheels and not a limb or your face.

You should always use the reinforced jacking points for jacking. It's the safest most stable part of the car that's what they are designed for of course. Like already said putting axel stands under these whilst working on the car could damage them.

Axel stands should be used underneath the axels but if your doing suspension like you said it's not always possible. You could always grab a hammer and have a tap around for a solid point to use or failing that you could always put them under the gear box on either side (never done this to a twingo) or on the sub frame. You could also try using a block of wood and cut a grove in it so itl fit snug over the jacking point sil and put the axel stands there.

Had mine on stands for 5 days when I had my wheels re done and had no problems. If your worried jack the car up on the normal places and put the stands under the sub frame on the front and on the back under the axle u defo won't have a problem then :)

I jacked my car up using the reinforced sill points but on the front right it bent a bit so no way I would trust stands on there...

Hence I'd avoided them, I remember jacking someones clio up at work with them to change a flat and the supplied jack simply tore through the supposedly reinforced part.

I've got some wood, which I actually cut into smaller pieces this evening. But not cut any grooves into yet, need to measure up before I consider using that. I would like to use these points as they're out of the way of what I want to do as well, full underside detail this weekend :)

Only need a small block. Probably just slightly bigger than the head of the axel stand. I small circular saw would do the trick. And then just pop em on top of the stands. Oh and remember to drop the car slowly. Iv seen it done so many times where people just twist the jack to quickly and they come down with such a crunch! Lol

Lol I've jacked my car up plenty of times don't worry about that. It's using them points that makes me nervous and I want as much space in the arches and way under the car.

Me too but you always shit yourself just before that handle turns! Lol You should be fine with the wood trick after all your still jacking on the strongest part under the car.

I dont use the sills, they bend easily. I use the the rear axle and just behind the front wheels beyond the sills with a trolley jack

Why don't you use the chassis rails?!

I don't understand why people use the seam on the sill to jack cars up when there's a 2" wide chassis leg about a foot behind it :lol:

r02.jpg

Either side of the exhaust heat shield :)
Where the braces mount on the Coupe des Alpes

I thought you meant behind as in towards the rear of the car :lol:

That would work. But I will need to get it quite high up and my drives a slight slope which isn't perfect :( that picture makes it seem quite far forward too? What about the rear of the car? Or is it that pic

Had mine up today changing oil and used the recommended jacking points but they do bend a bit, also placed jacks there. Not worried about the bending knowing they are reinforced just be very careful!

the ''jacking points'' ie the sills, is actually incorrect. you should NEVER jack a car up on the sills. this is all forms of wrong, if i seen anyone jacking a car up on a sill i would seriously need to refrain from punching that person. a 'jacking point' refers to the safe lifting point for a 2 or 4 post ramp, where even force is applied across all 4 of the jacking points (oddly enough, this is demonstrated in matthews picture above.)

jacking the car up on a sill means that as you raise it, 1/2 of the weight of the vehicle is pushing upwards on a small bit of steel, when the weight of the car is pushing down on it at an angle. the only result that's going to happen is the bending of the metal itself. the sill itself is only reinforced vertically, at any other angle it's weak as hell and bends.

ONLY jack your car up on the control arm (wishbone) or the rear beam for non suspension work or if you simply wish to raise the vehicle onto axle stands to do suspension work : the chassis rail itself.

Does anyone know where the jacking points are on the new rear engine Twingo 3.