Interview Advice

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGow

Reaction score
Hi Guys :)

As you are all such fountains of knowledge I though I would kindly ask for some last minute interview advice..

Got an interview later today (17:00hrs) for a rold as a Graduate Financial Accounting Trainee for Listers Group. I have a degree in Business Management which included 1 financial related module, in first year - 'Introduction to Financial Accounting for Business'. I have always been pretty good when it comes to numbers and maths and also excel at reporting an analysis work. Other than this my financial experience is fairly limited. I currently work at an international telemarketing and lead generation company as an account manager and don't deal with any financial issues. I believe I could be successful in fincance and have always wanted to pursue a career in the Automotive industry.

I know a couple of you work or have worked in finance beofore and just wondered if anyone had any general interview tips or specific pearls of wisdom before the interview..

Here is the Job ad if it helps at all - https://listers.co.uk/Careers/Detail/3499

Thank guys :)

I wish I had time to read and properly comment Chris :(

Good luck.

Just make sure you've done your research and have everything well rehearsed. You know the company and it's recent history and the biggest changes it's gone through. What is expected and obviously questions you wanna ask

You wanna ask things that show consideration to the role and your position in the company.

Where you can move within, obviously the training you might want to show you know how you've researched what's involved, performance measurement within the company and tbh so many things. My last interview was a good hour and a half and I made sure I covered all the bases I could. tbh there's so much to look at and think!

Let us know how you get on. Are you sure you wanna become an accountant... We're boring!

weebob":2yv8r9wf said:
Imagine the people on the panel are all naked...

You'll be fine
I've heard that before. It could be a bit of a distraction if one of the panel is hot :lol:

Besides what James put, be punctual, be smart. Don't try bullshitting about things you can't do, but sell your good points.

Mr_Ben":1vc1zimx said:
Be careful what you do with your hands / arms eg. crossing them means you're closed having palms up means you're open and honest. IF you lie you'll use third person distancing terms about what you're saying so don't pass off stuff as something you believe in because how you subconsciously word it will say otherwise.

Other stuff people have said is spot on.

EDIT: just found this... https://www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-746-Getting-Hired-The-Interview-Body-Language-Dos-and-Donts/
Have you been watching 'lie to me'

No, well not recently I've always been interested in body language.

Hope it all went well for you :)

on the body language point, in a nutshell the key to the basic process is mirroring in a similar but not exact way. my tutor in this topic always use to say "they scratch - you scratch" ... not really sure his view point is appropriate in all circumstances. :p

This area of my knowledge is a tiny bit rusty - I only studied it for 2 years, this topic makes me want to research it again! :D

I definitely wouldn't make a good hooker, not very good at selling myself! Could have gone a LOT better but we'll see!

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

Thanks for all the kind wishes and wise words as always :)

Got a second interview today so it can't have gone as bad as I first thought. Just need to use it as an opportunity to get acrross everything that I didn't manage to in the first interview!

Hope your all enjoying the sunshine!!!

TheGow":34c3x0jq said:
Thanks for all the kind wishes and wise words as always :)

Got a second interview today so it can't have gone as bad as I first thought. Just need to use it as an opportunity to get acrross everything that I didn't manage to in the first interview!

Hope your all enjoying the sunshine!!!

Awesome!!!

(shite weather here in b'pool)

Good luck for #2.

(Glorious weather in the east mids, but I'm in an office)

:) thanks all!!

Got the job, so ready to embark on a career in financial accounting! Going to be a few years hard work & study but hopefully down the line it'll all pay off!

Once I have sorted some new tyres out I'm going to try organise something in the way of a meet/drink with you lovely lot!