HOW TO: Lower your seats - Now with added images

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggi200

Reaction score
Reposting this due to issues with images.

Required: Axle stands, Jack, deep 13mm socket, 4 x M12 spacers/washers 5mm thick

1) Jack the car up and get it on stands.

2) Remove the 3 rubber covers per side (the rear most inside bolt didn't have a cover on either side of my car).

I've only noted the outside ones, but the inside ones are directly in line with these either side of the exhaust. (I just can't see them in this picture to accurately note them)

3) Undo the 4 nuts per side with a deep 13mm socket.

You will end up with this

4) Tilt the seats back and remove the washers. On the inside of the car they lift out easy on the front, on the outside they need to be removed with a little more force and on the inside rear it needs to be unscrewed from the bolt

This one needs to be unscrewed from the bolt

5) At this point you want to add the spacers on the inside bolts
I used these

M12 flat washers from homebase as I happened to pass

You will note that the washers should sit with less than a mm to spare above the carpet on the inside, at least it did in my car! I pushed the bolts back as far as they would go to achieve this

6) Redo the nuts up

7) Add the rubber covers.
8) Lower the car back down and admire your work, and enjoy the more comfortable position.

I have found this more comfortable, and I can certainly feel more through the seat. The spacers are apparently quite effective at reducing the small vibrations through the seat. I happen to quite like this.

What I took from this is that you used thinner washers to replace the thicker one's that renault use in order to get a lower driving position?

Almost. Read it again...

...remove the washers and add to avoid being lopsided. Although I did that last part rushed, they're certainly lifting one side but only just. Due to the way the tunnel sits they're almost not necessary.

So this only lowers it a few mm? can you really feel that much difference?

HI! thanks for the guide and pics but i don't understand this passage: I pushed the bolts back as far as they would go to achieve this.

I've giving this a go but i have found that there is a height difference of 7mm between the inside (tunnel side 21mm) and outside (door side 14 mm) original Renault spacers.
So to keep the seat "level" , it is the washer on the door side that determines the maximum height change. I have found that if you go less than 4mm thickness in washers on the door side then the adjustment mechanism locks and does not allow the seat to slide as forward as it should as it hits the cross member (i'm not very tall :))

So as far as i can tell the maximum height reduction is 10mm (14-4) using 4 mm washer stack on the door side and a 11mm washer stack on the tunnel side. Anybody else found this or is there something odd with my car? how can you achieve 15mm???!?!?!?

You can get 14mm, which is/was the height of the outside spacers (you will still need to add spacers back into the tunnel side to level up the seat). Problem being, the seat slider mechanism then hits the cross member frame and doesn't go all the way forwards. If you can live with that, then fine, otherwise add back a few mm of washers to allow the slider to work over its full travel

singlespeed":2lyi5h8d said:
You can get 14mm, which is/was the height of the outside spacers (you will still need to add spacers back into the tunnel side to level up the seat). Problem being, the seat slider mechanism then hits the cross member frame and doesn't go all the way forwards. If you can live with that, then fine, otherwise add back a few mm of washers to allow the slider to work over its full travel

Yeah I didn't know about the slider problem till afterwards. Bloody annoying if you're trying to put shopping in the back seat!

Caz-133cup":qx87vk9g said:
singlespeed":qx87vk9g said:

Yeah I didn't know about the slider problem till afterwards. Bloody annoying if you're trying to put shopping in the back seat!
Me too :?

Although the slider isn't a problem now the original seats are in the garage and the buckets are still substantially lower than standard or spacerless seats. Back seats :? :lol:

I swear the twingo has a boot and also rear sliding seats which is handy for shopping so it doesn't need to go on the seats.....

singlespeed":1v1qrm8p said:
You can get 14mm, which is/was the height of the outside spacers (you will still need to add spacers back into the tunnel side to level up the seat).

Ok....so u meant i have to put back the original Spacers on the tunnelside and 2 Washers on the outside ?

Remove all the original spacers
7mm tunnel side , nothing on the outside = lowest but limits movement of the sliding mechanism
7mm+4mm (11mm) tunnel side , 4mm on the outside = not quite as low but full movement of the slider

So long as theres a ~7mm difference then pick any combination you want ;) You could even raise the seat if you wanted :?

@Caz. Climb in from the boot :p

Caz-133cup":2wc2nv16 said:
I'm on about getting onto the back seats.
Not a problem cuz they slide almost all the way was only mentioning it

You dirty bugger. :lol:
Some people are trying to sort their seats out, never mind thinking about having it off in the car.

Christ. :shock:

;)

I have done it and not used washers lol i just put it stright on top of the carpet but what a difference it makes it's untrue :D

JMR":3d4hddk0 said:
Caz-133cup":3d4hddk0 said:
I'm on about getting onto the back seats.
Not a problem cuz they slide almost all the way was only mentioning it

You dirty bugger. :lol:
Some people are trying to sort their seats out, never mind thinking about having it off in the car.

Christ. :shock:

;)

Haha I just spat my lunch out reading that!!