GRAMATICAL ERROR'S

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am too and it is a bit confusing when I see errors, because I don't know if I was taught wrong, or natives can't spell properly ;]

I stumbled across a post on Facebook the other day, where a load of Scottish people were commenting on a police matter. And it confused the hell outta me.

Since when did 'use' mean 'you are'?

Frankly, I would think that the pair of you from Continental Europe have better English than most of the forum. (Certainly a lot better than my command of foreign languages).

You have been taught our language using a proven and methodical approach using both written and spoken language. Our basics were all learn in an informal atmosphere when we were very young, and the earlier something is imprinted, the harder it is to change.

maggi112":305ptep2 said:
I stumbled across a post on Facebook the other day, where a load of Scottish people were commenting on a police matter. And it confused the hell outta me.

:lol: Now that you mention it....

maggi112":3c5hutx1 said:

Haha mates on Facebook from Newcastle way all write in their accents and it makes for some interesting reading :/

Yeah, some of the Scottish quoloquialisms annoy me...like some people say the letter J like "Jaye" (imagine "aye") instead of "Jay".

The "use" thing is laziness - "you's" is the actual way "you lot" is shortened to, but still bugs me :lol:

Araf":t1wfe5se said:
Frankly, I would think that the pair of you from Continental Europe have better English than most of the forum. (Certainly a lot better than my command of foreign languages).

You have been taught our language using a proven and methodical approach using both written and spoken language. Our basics were all learn in an informal atmosphere when we were very young, and the earlier something is imprinted, the harder it is to change.

Yeah, this is true, because I feel I know english grammar better than polish ;)
Downside of this is a fact, that I have problems understanding 'casual' english with slang etc. - it's not what you may find in english learning books :).

madmatt":3rdzo2a7 said:
Yeah, some of the Scottish quoloquialisms annoy me...like some people say the letter J like "Jaye" (imagine "aye") instead of "Jay".

The "use" thing is laziness - "you's" is the actual way "you lot" is shortened to, but still bugs me :lol:

I'm so so bad for the use (or yous?) thing, the "you lot" sounds a bit too English for me! Scottish people who type how they speak annoy me too, "a canny dae it" "aw thats so nippy ae" :lol:

dempsej":3dnq5syx said:
Downside of this is a fact, that I have problems understanding 'casual' english with slang etc. - it's not what you may find in english learning books :).

But that's why you come on here. ;)

funky_d":rsyyun75 said:
I'm so so bad for the use (or yous?) thing, the "you lot" sounds a bit too English for me! Scottish people who type how they speak annoy me too, "a canny dae it" "aw thats so nippy ae" :lol:

Proper teuchter :lol:

The only things that annoys me is text style speak and completely leaving out any punctuation or spacing. Fair game on a text message, where you have a character limit. However on a forum without a character limit, it just looks lazy and makes it a lot harder to read and decide exactly what is meant.

I failed English language three times, so I'm certainly not judging anyone

singlespeed":3jrgio5z said:
The only things that annoys me is text style speak and completely leaving out any punctuation or spacing. Fair game on a text message, where you have a character limit. However on a forum without a character limit, it just looks lazy and makes it a lot harder to read and decide exactly what is meant.

I failed English language three times, so I'm certainly not judging anyone

Guilty as charged!! It IS because I am lazy!!! If I have to I can do it properly but sometimes (it feels) life is too short for punctuation! Except for exclamation marks!!! I like those :) !!!!