Fast shifting gearbox sound 1 -> 2

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarre

Reaction score
when i'm pushing the car and shift from 1 to 2nd gear the gearbox always makes a nasty sound.
yes, i use the clutch and no i don't release it early. it is only when i'm shifting really quick,

is this normal or is there something wrong? :geek:

Need to bring the rpm back a tad or slow the change down. It isn't uncommon, but it can't be good.

I've not really thought about it, but I haven't heard a crunch for a very long time in this way

hmm ok, will think of it next week when driving it again :)
it's my weekend/circuit car so i don't drive it every day to check it

Yeah mine does it when I'm pushing it hard so I just have to change a bit slower from 1st to 2nd an it doesn't do it

You'll be beating the synchromesh mate, is it a slight crunching noise? The synchro mechanism in a gearbox is designed to hold the cogs stationary as the clutch has disengaged so that the next gear can be selected with out damaging the gears, you'll be changing gear just that bit quicker than the synchro can stall the cogs.....

I had a problem with third and fourth gears............required a brand new box which was mostly paid by RUK as the car only has 21k on the clock - if you have warranty get it checked.