Exhaust Differences...

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbk

Reaction score
Can someone just clarify whether or not I'll have any issues further down the line if I decide to go ahead with a custom exhaust from a friends garage. I've requested a manifold back system, 2.5 inch. He'll do it for a silly low price. But I'm intending to change the manifold in a couple of months time and then get a remap.

Are there any foreseeable problems going down this route? Or am I better off stumping up the £500 odd quid for the k-tec system as it will all be matched?

Cheers

Won't have a problem but you won't have a cat at all so good luck with MOTs lol.

Ktec relocated the cat onto the new exhaust rather than the manifold

Lol, a valid point.

Performance wise, can I expect anything less going with a custom exhaust? Can a bit of tube make any significant impact where remapping is concerned?

Thanks for the reply btw

mbk":2c9yiiyk said:
Lol, a valid point.

Performance wise, can I expect anything less going with a custom exhaust? Can a bit of tube make any significant impact where remapping is concerned?

Thanks for the reply btw

Custom exhausts are hit and miss, anyone can make them but they really are only as good as the person making it, you can use the worlds best materials but if it isn't built properly it can have a negative effect on performance.

On the lines of relocating a cat if you wanted to do that all with a custom exhaust place it will probably cost not far off from the ktec system with it already relocated, another thing to consider for me is warranty what kind of warranty does the custom place offer to ktec?

depending on how farther the catalytic converter is placed down the system, it's function may become redundant as a catalytic converter usually works between 400 - 600 degrees. by the time the exhaust is moved from the manifold, to the bottom of the downpipe per say, the temperatures in the exhaust will be way below 400 meaning that NOx, CO, (HC) are all passing through it and not being converted. picking out the correct placement for it where it is in the required temperature range is essential in this instance.

as for the performance of the exhaust, your friend will follow the exact lines routing of your old system just with a larger diameter pipe. an exhausts performance is only down to it's bends and whatnot. less bends = free up some torques / horses. pretty much every aftermarket system out there is a carbon copy of the lines / routing of the OEM system. trust me, if renault spent a couple of tens of millions of quid in reasearch figuring out what the best exhaust route would be .... i'd say renaults words to be trusted ;)

In fairness he's done a few in the past but previously I've only had them done to add a bit of noise to the driving experience - clio 172 and 197 respectively. Quality of his work has always been pretty good, however this time I'm looking to try and extract a bit more power from the engine hence the consideration of the manifold as well.

As far as the cat goes, the car is only a year and a half old so no rush with regards to Mot's, although this will be something i have a chat with him about tomorrow.

The Ktec system is near enough 3x what I'm going to be paying, so I suppose in some respects its worth the gamble.

Cheers for the input btw guys

the guy obviously makes his living out of exhaust systems, and has a full understanding of how to gain power. to be fair though, it's not the hardest of arts to master especially on a small N/A car. the good thing about doing it the way you want to do it is that you do not have to settle for an off the shelf sound as you would with the ktec system. you can now choose how you want it to sound, delete the resonator box (probably 1/2 bhp gain) and it will be a lot more responsive as you have deleted a small restriction albeit a very small restriction. the rest of the process of exhaust tuning is down to manifold lengths coming out of the cylinder, but i'm sure you or he won't need me to tell you how this works!

one thing to remember is that ktec couldn't even bend you a pipe if you asked them, so they actually know sack all about sack all in that respect as their parts are engineered by other companies, all they do is bolt them on really. okay, a tad unfair perhaps but you get the general picture :)

Sadly I won't be able to get it RR'd before it gets done - it's being fitted today lol.

It'll be going to RS Tuning sometime over the next month though. So it'll be interesting to see what it makes with just an exhaust and filter.

i half got the 2 centre boxes taken out and put a straight piece of pipe in instead and i have a cheery bomb back box not really noticed any differences in power but i have just got the ktec manifold so will see how it feels when that is fitted :)

:) How does it sound? raspy?

Tbh subtle isn't my style. It'll literally be one pipe all the way back with a reasonable sized back box. Just to clarify, I'm not expecting gains from doing this. The gains come from mapping I guess, but I was pondering whether the k-tec system with the manifold would yield the same or a bigger gain than having a custom system fitted.

I'll stick my Go pro on the back of the car tomorrow and do a video of it. Not sure I'll get time today. It's likely to take him a few hours to get everything sorted.

I had the two centre silencers out with the standard backbox, it sounded good and can do a few burbles/pops when really hot, that was also very raspy when cold.

I'd like to hear the R1 exhaust in the flesh on a road car, I know someone over the channel has one fitted iirc

I'd like to hear the R1 exhaust in the flesh on a road car, I know someone over the channel has one fitted iirc

Coincidentally I was offered one about 6 months ago for something like 500 quid but I didn't have any spare money at the time. A guy I used to work with knew someone who'd been racing one but was selling up to move up to quicker class of car.

Exhaust is all done now. Sounds relatively deep at low revs before changing to a raspyish note higher up - at least from how it sounds in the car. In fairness I expected it to be louder, but the reality is it still has the cat on it which makes a big difference.

I'll post a video up tomorrow of it as soon as I get my suction mount back off my mate. Btw nat yours sounds good

Do r1's just have a pipe with no back box? I may run this setup if thats the case. They do sound awesome.

silencer? EWWWWWWWW *holds nose* who farted??? silencers stink (U)

Ok cool. Might ask my mate to try it this way. Should only take about 30 mins to change my current arrangement. Is the diameter of the pipe 2 inch still? I'm assuming the r1 runs a different manifold as well?