Egypt

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RS133ETO

Reaction score
Going to Sharm for first time on the 13th, looking pretty hot out there right now. Anybody been? Advice on excursions, locals etc?

We stayed in the Rehana Sharm hotel in Sharm El Sheikh about 5 years ago. Beautiful place, just make sure you really apply the suncream (it's bloody hot out there) and don't even brush your teeth with the tap water.

Saying that though, the food anyway will go right through you, so make sure it's got a nice toilet lol... Grim, but true.

The alcohol seems to be a damn sight stronger out there too, I was 15 when we went but after having not too much to drink, I was out of the game for about 2 whole days.

Another thing to be aware of is in the shops, nothing has a price, every shopkeeper will want to haggle a price on everything. A little goes a long way in the hotel too, their pay is minimal so the odd tip here and there really does sharpen the experience. We gave the guy by the pool the equivalent of about a fiver and he saved us brilliant sunbeds every single day, same with the waiter in the restaurant who'd have a fab table ready for us with drinks all set out before we'd even got there.

Amazing country, and definitely go for the quad biking!

The GF went out there about 3 years ago - I can only copy the advice of others really.

sun - Stupidly hot, she wore a necklace made of glass on a sun bed - ended up with a scar just below her neck (still has it now)

Shops - very helpful workers in these - give them a little extra on list price and they are pleasant to you the whole holiday.

Salads in all you can eats - avoid, washed with the local water and if you are of a sensitive stomach you wont leave the bathroom for a few days.

she had a fantastic time, friendly people, an excellent excursion to see the pyramids and wants to go back soon - have a fantastic time and take a little extra cash for tips :)

tommy89":2aa7sd9h said:
Take a little extra cash for tips :)

From what I heard they're mad for tips, one of my instructors told me that he once asked for directions (in arabic) off a policeman and when he was done with the conversation the policeman grinned and exclaimed boldly in English "Tips please! ^_^"

LCplParks":3fvp2ky8 said:
tommy89":3fvp2ky8 said:
Take a little extra cash for tips :)

From what I heard they're mad for tips, one of my instructors told me that he once asked for directions (in arabic) off a policeman and when he was done with the conversation the policeman grinned and exclaimed boldly in English "Tips please! ^_^"

They'd hate me, I'm a tight barstool so I don't tip at all.

First and last time I left a tip was in America, but its fcuking compulsory!

funky_d":3i8accry said:
Another thing to be aware of is in the shops, nothing has a price, every shopkeeper will want to haggle a price on everything.
Haggling is great fun.

Whatever price they ask for something, offer them between a quarter and a third of that price. They'll look so shocked as if you'd spat in their granny's eye, but that's all part of the game. They'll come down about 10%, so you try and look just as shocked and offer about 10% more than your first offer.

Keep going like this and eventually you'll meet somewhere in the middle.

Trick is to keep smiling and laughing - plenty of physical contact, hand on shoulder, pat on the back, that sort of thing.

In Morocco a couple of years ago, I was told I haggle like a Berber - I think it was a compliment :lol: