Dog Bone - A Twingo Tail

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitfire1

Reaction score
I decided to take a look at changing the dog bone on the Twingo as I was getting a few issues with 5th gear plus there did seem to be a lot of movement in the engine when taking up the clutch and pulling off.

So I started to look at the options, which there are not that many :shock: , I did a lot of searching and in the end decided to have a go with the Ktec dog bone fitted to the Clio 172 / 182. After a phone call to Ktec with a few dimension they confirmed the only difference was the hole size in the mounting to the subframe as the Clio was 10mm and the Twingo requires 12mm (already picked up on that in one of the threads on here) So I bit the bullet and order the part, it arrived very quickly and after checking discovered that the bushes used were standard Powerflow so a quick phone call to Powerflow who promptly sent me a new 12mm bored bush (free of charge :cool: ) to replace the 10mm fitted.

So this is the dog bone next to the stock 16V Bone
IMG_1107.jpg

This is how it looked fitted
IMG_1110.jpg

So after about 3 mins I decided it was not a good idea, my god I thought the engine was going to come out, certainly not something to be considered for a daily driver, so it was removed the same day and I had a re-think.

What I did next was to purchase a secondhand dog bone from a Clio 172 / 182 as I knew it fitted, then got hold of a Powerflow up-grade kit (PFF60-211K) which again had a 10mm bush fitted, which I drilled out to 12mm (as Powerflex did not have a ready machined bush) put it all together and fitted this weekend, what a difference it's made, yes a slight vibration at tickover but otherwise great feel for both gear change and general pull of the car, well pleased.

Interesting that the existing dog bone as the same 60mm diameter hole size as the Clio so I could have got away with not buying the secondhand Clio dog bone, this is what it looks like:

IMG_1112.jpg

and fitted:
IMG_1114.jpg

You learn by your mistakes, I've sold the Ktec so managed to get some of the expense back so overall not a bad outcome.

Rob :D

I was one of the bidders on the dog bone! Missed the last 10 mins and forgot to increase my bid! :(

133_Ads":b7ljnp81 said:
I was one of the bidders on the dog bone! Missed the last 10 mins and forgot to increase my bid! :(
Yes there was alot of people watching, ;) I will say it was very aggressive, I use to run a C-One damper on my MR2 Roadster - it was a great bit of kit, acted like a damper and stop engine movement just like the one I have fitted now, so I'm not sure what you are after but I would think twice about the Ktec style of dog bone, it may as well be solid.

Rob.

After reading the first post i will be soon on the lookout for the 1*2 mount, roughly what was the overall cost? Assuming you fit it yourself?

very easy yeah, will take you ten minutes to replace. jack the car up and remove the mount, it's held in place by two bolts. the front bolt has an 18 mm head and the other is held in with a nut and bolt i believe, nut is 16 mm and bolt is 18 mm so a socket and spanner job. then it's a case of bolting it back on

Good effort there :)

I can imagine the first one being interesting:? Brilliant at its roll of keeping the engine still, but no good at damping the noise and vibration.

I cast a replacement bush from polyurothane resin that's slight by stiffer than the standard grade rubber. Having no voids in the bush, my version is a fair bit stiffer and gave a bit more vibration which is most noticeable at idle

MovingShadow":3586b0fb said:
Interesting.. Is it easy to do yourself?
Yep - it took me three minutes to remove the first one :eek: :lol: :lol:

As said above very quick to do, on the RS133 I think you will need to remove the undertray or at least lower it, also on the 16V it's 18mm nuts and bolts all round, could be the same on the GT, but also I'm running a facelift so there could be minor differences.

Rob.

singlespeed":7jxdzt5z said:
Good effort there :)

I can imagine the first one being interesting:? Brilliant at its roll of keeping the engine still, but no good at damping the noise and vibration.

I cast a replacement bush from polyurothane resin that's slight by stiffer than the standard grade rubber. Having no voids in the bush, my version is a fair bit stiffer and gave a bit more vibration which is most noticeable at idle
Driving at around 2000 RPM I thought the engine was coming out, over 3000 RPM it was OK but still a lot of vibration.

I did see your thread on casting your own bush - was tempted to be honest, in fact as a temp measure I filled the void with some Tiger Seal, it did work a bit but no where near as good as the Powerflex.

Spitfire1":2w509m4q said:
MovingShadow":2w509m4q said:
Interesting.. Is it easy to do yourself?
Yep - it took me three minutes to remove the first one :eek: :lol: :lol:

As said above very quick to do, on the RS133 I think you will need to remove the undertray or at least lower it, also on the 16V it's 18mm nuts and bolts all round, could be the same on the GT, but also I'm running a facelift so there could be minor differences.

Rob.
Even though my Wind has a GT engine, I think it's got the same undertray as the RS133.

133_Ads":2luv35ht said:
After reading the first post i will be soon on the lookout for the 1*2 mount, roughly what was the overall cost? Assuming you fit it yourself?
You can have my old one if you like - just cover the postage, checking the dimensions the Powerflex kit should fit OK as it's got a 60mm large hole, the Powerflex cost me £39 delivered of Flea Bay, so not that expensive plus I've got a 12mm drill to bore out the bush which I did myself and of course fitting.

goog to know

but the ktec stile dog bone make vibration at the begening
no more vibration for me after one year in

mazmaz":1sxf4vp0 said:
goog to know

but the ktec stile dog bone make vibration at the begening
no more vibration for me after one year in

I think if you are talking about the Vibra Tecnhics design (There's a thread on here about a kind of group buy) then that looks a better option (very expensive though), the Ktec design uses a basic Powerflex bush with not real damping built in hence the aggressive vibration.

What benefits have you experienced after fitting this mate? Or what are the benefits its supposed to offer the car?

well it's called a torque reaction link, so basically what it does is counteract the shifting back and forth movement of the engine under load and gear changes. it makes it much smoother and less aggressive on the car, meaning you can go through the gears much better and as someone mentioned earlier the gearstick doesn't jiggle about alot whilst in gear which is due to the polymer rubber compound that's used to dampen the vibrations. they're awesome :)

I might look into getting one of these in the future! My list on wanted stuff is pretty long though

My car was the mian test for the vibratechnics dog bone mount and i still have it on now couldnt fault it probally the best mod for the car very little movement now! its great!

benmc":2jxmcvy2 said:
My car was the mian test for the vibratechnics dog bone mount and i still have it on now couldnt fault it probally the best mod for the car very little movement now! its great!
I did look at the vibratechnics but wasn't sure if it would fit - plus it's expensive, so went with the Powerflex up-grade. Now I've run it for several weeks the improvement in gear change and clutch response is spot on, not a great deal of vibration either, just a little at tickover and that's it.

Spitfire1":1zmlpm35 said:
benmc":1zmlpm35 said:
I did look at the vibratechnics but wasn't sure if it would fit - plus it's expensive, so went with the Powerflex up-grade. Now I've run it for several weeks the improvement in gear change and clutch response is spot on, not a great deal of vibration either, just a little at tickover and that's it.

Mine was one for the twingo with proper sized holes made up bud and yeah mine is the same vibrationwise but least i got mine for free ;) haha