Cup Vs None Cup

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wab172uk

Reaction score
Looking on Auto Trader, and not many mention being a cup chassis. Yet most have the Cup alloys. Most confusing.

What are people views on here regarding having the cup chassis over a none cup chassis?

Am I being too picking looking for the cup chassis option?

I`ve not driven a non cup but I have owned 2 172`s in the past. If the ride in a non cup is similar to the Clio`s then I prefer the cup chassis of the Twingo. Easiest way to tell if a Twingo has cup chassis is to look at the rear dampers, cup equals a purple dot.

As Charlie has said, the purple dot indicates the CUP chassis. I was unsure when I bought my RS 133, as the owner didn't say at the time of sale. When I got home and started to look at the paperwork, a previous dealership listed it as having 'the cup pack'. After looking on here for advice, my springs and dampers have purple dots on them. Ride is very firm to be honest so I did think it 'might' have the cup pack but that's the easiest way to tell :)

I have a non cup chassis, I do a 35 mile commute every day which is mainly in a straight line , when its not being used for work its also a second family car . In between those when I do get chance to give it some it still handles well for a factory car. The roads round here are crap so firmer doesnt always equal better handling. However im a big fan of the 17" wheels and lower stance of a cup so might convert it slightly with cup springs and wheels maybe one day. Mine came up for sale at a decent price from a Renault dealer not far away at all so , it was in brand new condition so didn't want to be picky and hang out for a cup chassis

I had a Gordini 133 with the standard chassis and 17" wheels

Good all round combo that. I had a 2 hour commute each day and it was spot on, would not have wanted any firmer.

Easy way to tell if you have the cup chassis is ask yourself have any of your fillings come out since you've had the car. :lol:

JMR":fip0oy9n said:
I had a Gordini 133 with the standard chassis and 17" wheels

Good all round combo that. I had a 2 hour commute each day and it was spot on, would not have wanted any firmer.

Easy way to tell if you have the cup chassis is ask yourself have any of your fillings come out since you've had the car. :lol:

I would say exactly the same, I have the Gordini 133 which comes with the 17" rims by default but I don't have the Cup suspension. The handling is still spot on but it doesn't shatter my spine when I go over a drain cover.

The main reason I'd go for the Cup chassis on any other model is because of the 17" rims, otherwise it'll have 16" wheels which although rarer don't look quite as good.

My ex-had a full fat 133 with Cup chassis and it looked awesome in black and white but the ride was annoyingly firm at times.

Then again do you buy a Twingo RS for it's refinement? haha

You certainly don`t buy a Twingo RS for refinement! They`re crazy little go karts :-D