Brembo Drilled and Grooved

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they're not brembo discs, and those pads cost the same sort of money as a set of cheap motor factor pads man :) standard brembo OE spec pads, nothing to write home about. they don't tell you anything about the discs, are they high carbon or just cast iron drilled discs? drilled discs aren't very safe when it comes to brake discs, a larger surface area results in a higher risk of warping to occur when hot discs are hit by road water ..

alarm bells are ringing. avoid these like it's the plague, at least with the plague you'll know how you're going to die. and with dodgy brakes, you'll never know when :)

if you want the best discs possible for the OEM brake disc size, then this should be the only thing you're looking at. combine these with good pads and you're laughing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-Brembo-Max-Front-Brake-Discs-Genuine-OE-Quality-Service-New-/350822685414?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Type%3A2.0+16V+Sport%7CModel%3AClio&hash=item51aea95ae6

That's what I thought. That's why I asked.

Your point about the drilled disks is interesting though. If your saying they are dangerous because of road water, why are so many people using them?

well most of the drilled discs don't come standard on a car unless they are high performance ceramic discs which are a different ball game altogether. slotted / grooved is different, infact slotted discs are actually for providing a means to remove brake dust and this is the same for grooved (same thing really) but drilling into cast iron is a very bad idea when it comes to heat dissipation. this is down to the granular structure of cast iron it's not hugely strong as all the grains are all over the shop. flash cooling this type of granular structure with water encourages cracks to form

if the discs are HC discs then they can be cross drilled if done correctly as this material is much stronger and will withstand cracking. that's down to how they vent out of the pillars amidst a few other things. it's a different story if it's ''insert a big brake disc manufacturer here'' but when it's an unknown disc, chinese no doubt ... i'd just avoid avoid avoid :)

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/dangerous-cross-drilled-rotors/

Ahh, didn't think about the material. After just doing a materials module in my engineering degree I should of thought!

Cue some cool looking phase diagrams, morphology and crystal structures!

The real risk of both drilling or having grooves in a disc is that it creates weak points in the disc. This means it is more likely to crack and your disc is therefore more likely to snap. if that happens you are pretty much guaranteed an accident. grooves and drilled holes were originally put in for releasing gas not brake dust - older pad compounds used to release gas under friction but with modern pad compounds you do not get this.

High Carbon content HC discs are quieter - that is all it does according to Brembo's technicians..

also the disc warping issue rarely exists. with organic pad compounds you get a transference of material between the pad and disc under friction. what most people believe to be a warped disc is infact caused by uneven transference onto the disc because the pads on the car have gone outside their optimum temperature range or have cooled too quickly.

personally I would go with these Brembo's
https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tun...hc-brake-discs-renault-twingo-mk2-rs-133.html