Big car choice?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavin-h

Reaction score
I'm starting to think about my next car and I have a fancy for a big car again - it happens every few years, and in the past I've had a Mondeo and a Sonata at various times

So, I'm looking at something that sort of size and so far the things that have caught my eye are the Kia Optima and the Suzuki Kazashi.

Optima: lovely looking car and plenty of toys but only comes with a 1.7 diesel, so maybe a bit underpowered.

Kizashi: not quite as attractive to my eye, but a 2.4 petrol and 4x4. But only comes with flappy paddle gear change and fuel economy wouldn't be brilliant.

Obviously with that sort of thing I'd be looking at buying 6-12 months old and letting some other mug take the first hit on depreciation!

Any thoughts, guys?

And any other suggestions?

If I was to buy a boat for myself, id buy a Nissan QashQui+2.

Bought one for the wife, thinking Id hate it but it is a cracking car, sooo00 comfortable and surprisingly nimble, all the toys you could ever need.

We have a the 1.5dci, it is a little underpowered but not as slow as you would think.

The optima are great looking cars...

2011-kia-optima-xl.jpg

Not really had much of a look at either of those in the past - but the Optima does look pretty good. It's also got more than 50lb/ft torque more than the Kizashi so for real world driving I'm not sure I'd write it off in those stakes till after a good drive.

You had a look at Mazda 6, VW Jetta/Passat, Skoda Octavia/Superb etc?

Skoda Superb hands down.

It's more spacious than a Audi A6 but alot more cheaper and with the quality of VW.

MovingShadow":355obqaa said:
Skoda Superb hands down.

It's more spacious than a Audi A6 but alot more cheaper and with the quality of VW.

The quality thing doesn't count for anything these days. My neighbours skoda Octavia is nothing but hassle. What he does though, is blame everything BUT the car. So it's still über reliable, but the issues are; a mechanics, a garages, a bird, the compromise of safety/practicality.

Windscreen wiper broke, he claimed it was some pedestrian safety gimmick or summin. And the coilpacks... Well that's the garages fault (but my car is mega unreliable cos its French, according to him)

maggi112":y30hnan2 said:
MovingShadow":y30hnan2 said:
Skoda Superb hands down.

The quality thing doesn't count for anything these days. My neighbours skoda Octavia is nothing but hassle. What he does though, is blame everything BUT the car. So it's still über reliable, but the issues are; a mechanics, a garages, a bird, the compromise of safety/practicality.

Windscreen wiper broke, he claimed it was some pedestrian safety gimmick or summin. And the coilpacks... Well that's the garages fault (but my car is mega unreliable cos its French, according to him)
Thats VAG wh0res who think nothing happens with their car but when I check a forum about 'cleaned' cars and you check the 'Engine' thread, it begs to differ :p

Still, it's a solid car.

No doubt. But I wouldn't give forum bias a second thought. If I did, I wouldn't of bought a Renaultsport. I pick a car based on the car. Not on the badge.

Except small chevrolets.

True :)

On another note, my mom and her boyfriend replaced the 1.5 DCi Megane for a 2.0 DCi Koleos

They wanted something more comfortable..

They let me drive and yes it's very comfortable and nice interior but not my kind of car.

But it's huuuuge.

DrDrew":tw2qouds said:
You had a look at Mazda 6, VW Jetta/Passat, Skoda Octavia/Superb etc?

Thanks, Doc.

Mazda and VWs seem a bit dull to me. Skoda Superb looks decent - a neighbour recently got one so weill have to have a chat with him about it...

MOT and tax due on Twingo in June, I know it'll need new fromt tyres, so when I start adding it up, if I trade it in, use the value of the Twingo as a deposit, the money I save on the tax, MOT and tyres will cover the first two monthly payments on whatever I get next :lol:

Other plus point for the big Kia is that they come with a SEVEN year warranty. They must be confident in their cars!

New Mazda 6 estate, 2.2D 175PS manual in Sport trim. Absolutely packed full of standard equipment, looks the bollocks and reviews say it drives very, very well.

Sorted!

My mam an da have the Mazda 6 non estate with full sport pack 2.2 d at 184ps and tbh it has a lot more going for it than audis and bmw's at same spec interior is loads better than both real nice car to drive aswell

Dacia Duster!!!

Sat in one yesterday and it was f*cking cool. Like sitting in a Tonka toy, everything was very simple and functional. Plus a complete bargain haha.

Alex_225":13fktqlw said:
Dacia Duster!!!

Sat in one yesterday and it was f*cking cool. Like sitting in a Tonka toy, everything was very simple and functional. Plus a complete bargain haha.

I sat in one the other week and quite liked it too. It's much bigger than I was expecting for the price tag - and it felt fairly solid

Yeah that's what I thought. It's very basic but works better for it and like you say seems surprisingly sturdy. Definitely a big car too.

Can see these being a second hand bargain in the future too!! :)