Automatic lights not working

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaRobinson133

Reaction score
Not sure if this was an interior or exterior problem but went with interior.
The lights on my 2010 Twingo RS are supposed to come on automatically when it gets dark or goes through a tunnel.
When i first got the car this function was working however recently it has stopped working.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?
Is it as simple as a fuse or could it be a wiring issue.

Are they activated/deactivated by twisting the light on off stalk between off and sidelight when you first turn the ignition key to the next to last click? I'm sure I did it by accident once, before then I didn't realise I had automatic lights. Turned them back off anyway as they bug me.

You could have possibly simple deactivated them without meaning too

To turn the auto-lights on, move the switch on the end of the light stalk from position 0, no lights, to position 1, side lights, back to position 0, position 1 then position 0 again. You should hear a major-key chime if done correctly.

If the key you hear is in minor, the functionality has been switched off. Repeat the process to turn it back on.

Sw4ns":pmtxqjnt said:
To turn the auto-lights on, move the switch on the end of the light stalk from position 0, no lights, to position 1, side lights, back to position 0, position 1 then position 0 again. You should hear a major-key chime if done correctly.

If the key you hear is in minor, the functionality has been switched off. Repeat the process to turn it back on.

Better explanation than mine!

I still wonder how I stumbled on this, must have been fidgety with the lights one morning :lol:

I read about the auto-lights feature before I bought the car, so was surprised and disappointed when I drove into my apartment's dark undercroft and they didn't go on.

Fortunately, the instructions on how to turn the auto function on and off is detailed in the owner's manual.

Yeah (FF and FF with cup chassis, but not Cup models), just keep flicking them between sidelights and off until it beeps. Think the ignition has to be on or the engine has to be running for it to work

I turned miine off by accident too, its much easier to turn off than on in my opinion! Anyone got any idea why my automatic wipers come on ... even when its bright sunshine and I have the roof off (also happens in bright sunshine with the roof on haha!)

Blondie":18rs747x said:
Anyone got any idea why my automatic wipers come on ... even when its bright sunshine and I have the roof off (also happens in bright sunshine with the roof on haha!)
Bug splats look prety much the same as a rain drop landing over the sensor (the sensor is built into the rear view mirror mounting). Wiper stalk switch Off/Auto/On... Make sure its off unless you want bugs smeared across the screen

singlespeed":2jsb3ptn said:
Blondie":2jsb3ptn said:
Anyone got any idea why my automatic wipers come on ... even when its bright sunshine and I have the roof off (also happens in bright sunshine with the roof on haha!)
Bug splats look prety much the same as a rain drop landing over the sensor (the sensor is built into the rear view mirror mounting). Wiper stalk switch Off/Auto/On... Make sure its off unless you want bugs smeared across the screen

Aww thanks for that :D ... but then I will have to turn them on myself when it rains!?! :roll:

Blondie":1hc1hu5i said:
singlespeed":1hc1hu5i said:
Blondie":1hc1hu5i said:

Aww thanks for that :D ... but then I will have to turn them on myself when it rains!?! :roll:
Such a hardship :lol:

Having the wipers off also prevents the rear screen getting wiped when engaging reverse. Although its probably not a problem for the Wind or, me as my rear wiper motor it in the garage loft

;) haha I know ... whatever next, having to turn the wipers on when its raining! How will I ever cope!

No you are correct, the auto function doesn't effect the rear wiper on mine ... ;)

Blondie":nwqtv9hw said:
;) haha I know ... whatever next, having to turn the wipers on when its raining! How will I ever cope!
You could always walk or catch a bus when its raining if the wiper switch it too troublesome

singlespeed":r9te9xmy said:
Blondie":r9te9xmy said:
You could always walk or catch a bus when its raining if the wiper switch it too troublesome

:shock: do you know what .. I think I will manage!! :lol: ;)

Blondie":39j0pzw4 said:

No you are correct, the auto function doesn't effect the rear wiper on mine ... ;)

I find the auto wipers absolutely crap, too slow when you want them faster and too fast when it can be slower!

I always seem to be adjusting the sensitivity.

Blondie":37cve9vo said:
I turned miine off by accident too, its much easier to turn off than on in my opinion! Anyone got any idea why my automatic wipers come on ... even when its bright sunshine and I have the roof off (also happens in bright sunshine with the roof on haha!)
My clio's auto wipers have a mine of their own sometimes too. I found the only way to reset them to make the auto function work properly again is to switch the engine off (to position 0 or key out) then restart the car. Don't know if this is the same issue or if it helps at all?

XNicolalaX":12a9kts9 said:
Have tried turning my auto lights on, and it won't work :(. I have had the engine running, then tried just with the ignition on. Boo. :(

I have to flick it between the settings quickly or it doesn't work.

Try doing it quicker :p