Anyone experiencing poor cold start idle/kangarooing etc?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oVerboost

Reaction score
Just interested as to who's RS133 has cold start issues?

I ask because mine did but only a little, however the fix from the Clio RS models works the same on the Twingo. The MAP sensor on the left hand side of the inlet manifold has a rubber seal that wears over time, this in turn allows the sensor to move and not seal properly. Under vacuum the sensor is pulled towards the inlet and creates a tight seal, but at idle or low revs from cold, it can sometimes not seal.

You've two options to remedy this... buy a new MAP sensor and hope that it doesn't fail again or simply get a metal cable tie (long kind) and wrap it against the inlet manifold tight so it cannot move.

You should find your cold start issues are gone.

Hopefully this might help someone in the future when searching for help... :)

Nice post OB, really nice - things like this make us and our Twingos special!

My lumpiness was bad timing (high pressure on the manifold, around 430mb rather than the c330 which is normal apparently). Got sorted with the belt change and now lovely, even on a colder than normal start in Glasgow!

Any chance of a pic of the MAP sensor? Is this a mass airflow thing or a lambda sensor?

Its a small sensor, looks like this...

manifold-absolute-pressure-map-sensor-8200719629.jpg

I'll try and get a picture of its location tomorrow :)

Does this actually work lol. Think every rs owner suffers with it but if it's such a small this like the map sensor be great if it works. Mine is wobbly always thought it should have a tight seal, certainly going to investigate and try the tie wrap trick to see if there's a difference.

This sounds great.

I've noticed that i'm experiencing poor cold start. Seems to stutter so will look into this!
Thanks. :)

They do have some movement even from new, however the design is very poor :(

Mines still been fine since I secured the map sensor, although I have also heard that the lambda needs to warm up a bit 45-60 seconds as another possible rough cold start culprit.

Yes think they'll always be rough when cold, mine keeps revs up over 1k for a min or so I assume it's to warm the cat up as quick as possible, but to be honest a lot of the kangoorooing is due to chocolate engine mounts which I've wedge with polyurethane and a vibra tecnics dogbone makes a huge difference

Overboost, what about some rtv or high temp silicon around the rubber grommet? Could you post pics of yours with the wraparound?

Cheers!

Cleggy.

I will try and get photos done sorry, been really busy with work.

I wouldn't use silicone or anything along those lines simply because it may make removing it in future difficult, and if it breaks off or falls into the inlet when you remove it/breaks off over time it could potentially get into the VVT mechanism.

I just mounted a tyrap. My twingo rs is havoing bad starts. Renault already changed the map sensor under warranty. After this the problem was 2-3 weeks gone. Now it's getting worse by week.... when i drive off it looks like a pop and bang map haha. But i has then lack of power. Hope to have solved the problem. It's cooling down now and i will start it again in the afternoon.

daanoontje":3i2re59h said:
I just mounted a tyrap. My twingo rs is havoing bad starts. Renault already changed the map sensor under warranty. After this the problem was 2-3 weeks gone. Now it's getting worse by week.... when i drive off it looks like a pop and bang map haha. But i has then lack of power. Hope to have solved the problem. It's cooling down now and i will start it again in the afternoon.

Might be worth getting your timing checked too. Mine was lumpy at startup but is a lot better when the timing was corrected. As far as I remember mine was too far advanced.

Timing should be fine. Nothing changed so.... cambelt change has been done 2 years ago. After that there were nog issues.... they started about one year ago... half year ago they changed the map sensor.

Car has no remap. Only supersprint downpipe and rest is inoxcar. But thats not the problem i guess....

Starting the car seems to be oke now.... also it looks like the car is better on throttle then before? Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning!!

Overboost you legend!

I was looking frantically on the other left :)

I'll tend to this when I do my LED bulb swap and stickers tomorrow...

Thanks again buddy.

Cleggy.

No worries :) One thing I will add, don't over-tighten the sensor just make it so that it can no longer wobble about and move in and out of the inlet (where the seal wears down due to heat).

Could you not just buy new 0 rings or use larger diameter ones like say from certain vag derv oil filters, any idea why ones blue the others black.