5W40 or 0W40 oil in Glasgow (it gets cold up here)!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleggmeister

Reaction score
Sorry folks, I guess this one's probably been done to death but I'm going to do 3000 mile oil changes on Le Tweeng. Just something I like doing and (I think) causes more good than harm (a bit like running Redex in my super unleaded, which I've always done).

I'm going for Comma fully synthetic and have a choice of 0W40 or 5W40 (mfr recommended).

Car is out of warranty so I have no issues there. I'm also using the genuine Renault oil filter (just ordered a handful from eBay).

So, temps where I live get down to -10 most winters, and I use the car as a daily driver.

Is there any advantage or harm in using 0W40?

Many thanks in advance!

Cleggy.

20k. Thanks for the feedback, ive just bought 5l of Comma fully synthetic 5w40 and will do the change shortly (when I figure how to get the oil filter off!). Might switch to 0w40 for the cold snap, but I'll give it a good flush before I do anything...

5w 40 will be fine bud for those temps, personally I'd not use comma oil though something as important as oil I'd rather not skimp especially if you plan on keeping the car a long time each to there own though. Oil filter is a b**th best way is remove the alternator support bar and it can be undone by hand. The first time I did an oil change on my cup I had to struggle with a chain though unless u get a 12 flute filter tool, for future reference to everyone really you only need to tighten it by hand, it really will save you a lot of hassle in future it even says on the filters to tighten by hand only, now I can just about remove mine without removing the support bar best of luck.

Remember when using flush, as great as it may seem in theory, you'll never get all of that flush out of the engine/oil ways... Meaning when you put your new oil in, the remaining flush will continue to break it down. It won't really do much damage, but as long as the oil is at a fairly thin viscosity when you drain it (warm) then you should get away without using a flush, even when changing from 5w40 to 0w40 they two will mix fine without any damage.

Cheers chaps. I've used comma for years as I was told by a couple of master technicians that it was Mobil under a different brand. I'll do the flush then I'll use a few litres of mineral oil as an extra flush, before filling with the good stuff.