265 Trophy VS Subaru BRZ

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDrew

Reaction score
Think I'll just leave this here...
[youtube]aNUL9eQO5Q0[/youtube]

Good for the Trophy, but I was expecting more from the BRZ. Sounds like toyota have done a better job with the GT-86

Pace was never going to be the issue here, the megane was always going to win that, more powerful, extremely competant and surefooted. The biggest surprise is their conclusion of the drive of the BRZ, which is the whole point and ethos of the car, a fun, balanced, drivers car. Their car was an auto, which may be the cause, but pretty much the rest of the motoring press is smitten with it and this review is definitely the odd one out.

It's a strange comparison but yes I had no doubt the Trophy would win.

To be honest, I'd still want the GT/BRZ.

It feels a little unfair though because the Trophy is a special track edition. I think they should wait and compare it when Toyota/Subaru come out with a 'cup' or 'race' version of the GT/BRZ.

I want a GT86 soooooooooo bad.

Not that quick in a straight line but an absolute joy in the bends!

Funnily enough I saw one driving through town last night. It has stickers on it's badges and weird dealer plates on. Got me very excited`!!

To be honest I'm not shocked by any of these results to be honest.

Obviously in terms of sheer speed they're not comparable but RenaultSport have been able to make some of the most engaging drivers cars full stop, not just in their class.

Subaru are able to make fast cars and great engines but I've had more than one Impreza driver admit that as fast as their car is it's almost too safe in the bends. Fun because their quick but not necessarily as engaging as they could be. I think that's the impression that new BRZ gives. No doubt quick and capable but not necessarily engaging.

Driving fun in my opinion isn't just about how fast a car can go!

I have to say, I'd like to see a BRZ STI rematch when it comes out.
With a Manual box..

Comparing a Meg 265bhp Trophy MANUAL against a 200bhp Auto is just daft :S
Like comparing Eusain Bolt's running shoe to a Steel Toecapped Rigger boot.

I think Alex the idea is the opposite of that! Skinny tyres, not much power so the emphasis is on low speeds and fun. Not sheer speed and feeling like its too stable and no fun

maggi112":1eaudjm6 said:
I think Alex the idea is the opposite of that! Skinny tyres, not much power so the emphasis is on low speeds and fun. Not sheer speed and feeling like its too stable and no fun
+1
Toyobaru's are meant to be really playfull when you turn the tc off.

After seeing the Megane 265 the other day I'm so un surprised at this result, I would like to be a passenger and compare the 265 with a Focus RS and then see where the differences lay

ive driven both after considering swapping the clio for one (ended up going with a new house instead! hence the twingo lol) The focus is awesome, the noise, the grip ohh and the noise! - i couldnt buy one over the meg though! the urgency the megane has when in extreme mode is just awesome ,it just came alive cross country, i took it on a 25 mile test drive and averaged 12mpg with the salesman in lol!!!

Bit of an unfair comparison really, not surprised by the results at all. Absolutely love the Meg though

ECG1000":1uuxyi5v said:
maggi112":1uuxyi5v said:
+1
but i have read some forums of toyobaru's when they put on wider tires and take of the crappy prius tires , that thing can grip nicely i also <3 the GT86 looks they are a bit nicer then the BRZ's ;) , i do love a megane but for having a massive smile into a corner i would say GT86 all day

GhostZ":29qowwg2 said:
ECG1000":29qowwg2 said:
maggi112":29qowwg2 said:
+1
but i have read some forums of toyobaru's when they put on wider tires and take of the crappy prius tires , that thing can grip nicely i also <3 the GT86 looks they are a bit nicer then the BRZ's ;) , i do love a megane but for having a massive smile into a corner i would say GT86 all day
I can imagine they have far more grip with wider tyres on but....... The whole point of them is not to have a huge amount of grip so you don't have to being going overly fast to unsettle the car.

Martin_172":3j5ki4er said:
give me an AE86 over a GT86 any day though!! lol
a tuned AE86 cause a regular one would be quite boring trust me ...

GhostZ":kqz92uau said:
Martin_172":kqz92uau said:
a tuned AE86 cause a regular one would be quite boring trust me ...

they are still a good laugh to drive, my best mate had a box fresh standard one he imported a few years back, its an animal now though!

Martin_172":3o4b2stu said:

Agreed with you there matey....funnily enough, where I'm looking next :) My mate's got a Trueno and...well, he drives it like a wimp but it's cool :lol: