The Clio 197/200 Sprint Series...

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willis

Reaction score
Afternoon!!!

For those of you who also log on to 197/200.net you'll already know me as Willis. For those of you who don't then be not afeared... I'll fill in the blanks for you as we go along. Basically, there's a few of us over on 197/200.net who are into the trackdays and all the rest of it and we're looking to take things one step further and set up, or join in with, a Sprint Series. I'd also like to extend an invitation to you guys and in time I'll be bugging the guys over on Meg'Sport as well...

From the title of this thread I'm pretty sure you'll already have figured out where this is going... I will try and cover everything that you may need to know in as much detail as possible but if there's anything you're unsure about or anything that you think I've missed then please let me know. There are however some questions that I will not be able to answer at the moment for various reasons (so please bear with me), but rest assured that anything that I can't answer now will be answered in due course.

I'm sure most people will have heard of The Mitsubishi Lancer Register and the chances are that if you've heard of the club/forum then you'll have heard of The Mitsubishi Lancer Register Sprint Series (MLRSS). For those who haven't heard of them, MLRSS is bascially and intra-club Time Attack ran at various venues in the UK from full on race tracks to go-kart tracks and also some hillclimb courses. Cars are split into classes depending on the level of modifications they carry and the aim of the game is to be the fastest in your class at each venue. Think of it as a timed trackday, pretty much like ClubMSV's How Fast but not limited to Bedford Autodrome and not open to the general public.

I'll try and do an FAQ bit now...

1; WHEN!?!

Ideally the first even would be Feb and the last even would be Oct.

2; WHERE!?!

Various track, Sprint and Hillclimb venues throughout England/Scotland.

3; HOW MUCH!?!

This should hopefully be in the region of £125-£150 per person per event.

4; WHAT DO I NEED TO COMPETE!?!

You need to be a member of 197/200.net, although this invitation is now being extended to 133.net too.

5; WHAT MODIFICATIONS DOES MY CAR NEED!?!

None. Everything from a standard car right through to something running an engine conversion will be catered for and will have the chance to compete in a class against similar spec' cars to ensure that everybody has an even playing field and everybody has as much chance of winning as everybody else. The only restriction on modifications is that SLICK tyres cannot be used.

6; WHO WILL BE TIMING US AND IS IT LEGAL TO TIME US?

The guys over at MLRSS have very kindly agreed to help set this up and part of this agreement is to run the timing side of things for us. We will be using their Tag Timing equipment, which will be linked to a Plasma screen in the paddock to provide us with live timing at every event. This is the system they've been using for a number of years and it is about the best kit that money can buy so rest assured that everything will be fair and above board. Timing is perfectly legal as it will be ran outside of the MSA blanket.

7; DO I NEED A LICENCE OR INSURANCE FOR MY CAR OR MYSELF?

No. Neither. As we will be operating outside of the MSA blanket, you will not need any form of competition licence to take part in this. Likewise, you will not need any form of insurance to take part in this. It is highly reccomended that you take out the appropriate insurance on you car, but that is YOUR decision to make and nobody elses. There will only be a very limited number of cars on track at any given time and so the chances of a car-car collision are going to be very very very small. But, you may run out of talent. You may ding the barrier. You may damage your car or you may burst the gearbox. Motorsport is dangerous, m'kay...

8; DO I NEED TO WEAR A HELMET AND BOOTS/GLOVES/RACESUIT!?!

Yes. You only have one head. If it breaks then you're up sh!t creek. You will have to provide your own helmet and you will have to wear it at all times when on track. Your helmet should be fit for purpose, it doesn't have to be a Bell made from Carbon Fibre but feel free to buy one of those if you so wish. You do not have to wear a racesuit or boots of gloves, but feel free to do so if you so wish and I would suggest that at a minimum you pick up a set of karting gloves as in the event of a fire or a window breaking then they might just save your hands and buy you some time. I know that that sounds dramatic, but as I've already mentioned; Motorsport is dangerous, m'kay...

So, now comes the big questions to see if we can make this viable...

1; WHO FANCIES JOINING US?

2; IF WE CAN'T DO THIS AS OUR OWN EVENT, THEN WOULD YOU JOIN IN A CLASS IN THE MLRSS?

And here's a little insight into what a day with The MLRSS is all about...

[youtube]zxCTbHn9IUM[/youtube]

Looks really good to do just I won't have this kind of money :( if there's a close meet near me I will pop down to watch or if I've got spare cash at that one see if I can join in but I think ill mainly be watching from sidelines :p

Spectators are more than welcome!!!

The likelihood is that we will be tagging onto The MLRSS and having our own sub-class, so it'll be worth popping down to have a look at the mad Evo's. I've had some very positive discussions this week with Darin who runs the series and there's a few options open to us. Please note that you would not have to take part in every round, you could take part in as few or as many as you wanted...