Main beam linked to fogs..

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jra3d

Reaction score
Ok so last couple of nights I've been planting it through the corners on some country lanes...

So it started me thinking I always flick the fogs on so I get a bit more light close in as the h4 hi/lows annoy me as used to separate main bean and dipped beam bulbs!

So the question

"can you link the fogs to come on when main beam is turnt on?"

This mod would make car illegal tho no? Unless you have another switch to 'disconnect' them from the main beam when you do need them in fog. Therefore making it point less.

Maybe DRL's lower down may be the better more legal answer.

So the obvious question is...

James' car will be more dangerous than a car without fog lamps? He would turn them off full beam when coming past another car for the obvious reasons so where is there an issue?

Also, as James is an officer himself I'm sure he wasn't asking a legal question rather a technical wiring question.

So instead of talking about the law talk about that?

In the highway code

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Newspaper article on a clampdown on mis-use of fog lights.
Fog Lights Crackdown on Hazardous Drivers
Daft motorists who use their fog lights in clear conditions in Coventry are facing a fine in a clampdown by traffic police.

Officers based at Fletchamstead Highway police station say that the blinding lights are being misused, and it is proving dangerous to other drivers.

A £30 fine will be imposed on drivers who break the law by going around with their fog lights on.

Acting Sergeant Nigel Fairburn said:

"We have been receiving complaints from members of the public who have been dazzled by motorists using their front fog lights when there is absolutely no need.

"The legislation states they are only to be used in conditions where visibility is serious impaired – generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet).

"We will be issuing fixed penalty fines of £30 to drivers who leave their front fog lights on despite the clear conditions.

"We believe that some motorists, especially young ones, are confused about their front fog lights and their use.

"Basically, if the lights are on a separate switch with a warning light on the dashboard, these are fog lights, and should only be used in extreme conditions.

"If they come on when you flick on the main beam switch then they are driving lights not fog lights and will disappear when the lights are dipped or switched off.

"Also drivers should ensure they remember to switch off rear fog lights after use as they can mask the brake lights of the car as well as dazzling motorists travelling behind."

Though the copper in this article seems to state if you turn them into "driving lights" (Though unless you had some weird switchery that could take them out of being fog lights) they'd be ok

James wouldn't use them other than with main beam per his question. So there is no issue of blinding other road users.

It might be the law but James didn't ask (nor does he require) educating in that area.

That wasn't my point.....

My point was if they are permanently linked to the main beam how will he activate them independently in foggy conditions?

Was far from trying to educate him....

Yeah I'm perfectly aware of law and that's not the issue here ;)

Basically I want them OFF when dipped beam is on an leaving them wired too the front fog switch (as is is now)

But basically wire them to the live of the main so when i turn main beam on the come on and turn off when return back too dipped.

So the question is can you link them from the rear of the headlight can too the fogs so not to destroy any of the on off for foggy conditions (if that makes sense!!)

Well if you said that in the first place and not let us guess the setup ;)

You prob can it's only wiring and a micro switch involved. Best ask an auto electrician.

Mr_Ben":1djok277 said:
Well if you said that in the first place and not let us guess the setup ;)

You prob can it's only wiring and a micro switch involved. Best ask an auto electrician.

Shh ;) I was sleepy when I first wrote it and couldn't think how to explain it!!

It's just at night I hate main been and committing into a corner fast an not seeing the inside line

Lol

Just been chatting with some engineers and it's been decided that you will need a separate circuit to get it working. Not worth it. (in their opinion)

Go with my initial option of DRL's and put them either on a switch or wire them to the main beam.

linking the mainbeam switch to the foglight relay would work, but you would probably need a diode inline to save foglights swiching on the mainbeam.

With normal bulbs, does the dip element stay on when going to main beam? The problem with h4 hids is the same light output is directed over a larger area, by the sliding beampatern thingy watsit, hence the foreground getting less power in return for a longer throw and spread

Or just drive at speeds appropriate to the visibility :)

DrDrew":254t0bah said:
In the highway code

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Newspaper article on a clampdown on mis-use of fog lights.
Fog Lights Crackdown on Hazardous Drivers
Daft motorists who use their fog lights in clear conditions in Coventry are facing a fine in a clampdown by traffic police.

Officers based at Fletchamstead Highway police station say that the blinding lights are being misused, and it is proving dangerous to other drivers.

A £30 fine will be imposed on drivers who break the law by going around with their fog lights on.

Acting Sergeant Nigel Fairburn said:

"We have been receiving complaints from members of the public who have been dazzled by motorists using their front fog lights when there is absolutely no need.

"The legislation states they are only to be used in conditions where visibility is serious impaired – generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet).

"We will be issuing fixed penalty fines of £30 to drivers who leave their front fog lights on despite the clear conditions.

"We believe that some motorists, especially young ones, are confused about their front fog lights and their use.

"Basically, if the lights are on a separate switch with a warning light on the dashboard, these are fog lights, and should only be used in extreme conditions.

"If they come on when you flick on the main beam switch then they are driving lights not fog lights and will disappear when the lights are dipped or switched off.

"Also drivers should ensure they remember to switch off rear fog lights after use as they can mask the brake lights of the car as well as dazzling motorists travelling behind."

Though the copper in this article seems to state if you turn them into "driving lights" (Though unless you had some weird switchery that could take them out of being fog lights) they'd be ok
Slightly offtopic question:
about using the front fogs lights in visible conditions.

So they're too bright in normal circumstances but what if you replace them by LED's, would you still get a ticket for them from the 5-0?

It shouldn't because LED's aren't bright enough and it takes away the ability as a full functioing fog light, it's more for the looks.

Mine are led and totally useless as fog lamps. They were quite useful a the london meet as I was bringing up the rear and without satnav and as I occasionally got caught at traffic lights and caught up with the rest they knew it was me coming up due to the lights :lol: they're not blinding at all, not a single person flashed and no trouble.

I have 2 LED foglights right here but I need to switch the polarity in order to get them to work.

Was just wondering this because a friend of mine received a ticket for driving with his foglights on.

jra3d":27omq0vz said:
Ok so last couple of nights I've been planting it through the corners on some country lanes...

So it started me thinking I always flick the fogs on so I get a bit more light close in as the h4 hi/lows annoy me as used to separate main bean and dipped beam bulbs!

So the question

"can you link the fogs to come on when main beam is turnt on?"

not sure if this is helpful, but any knowledge is useful i suppose :)

I wanted to do this to my old clio (fog lights as standard fitted) however, after trying to do it neatly i gave up because it would have meant hacking apart complicated bits.

the way i got round this was bought some nice (in my opinion) aftermarket fog lights and fitted them in the grille, if you wanted them to not show up like a false rally car they could have been fitted behind the grille. never concealed mine cos i wasnt sure if people would think i was trying to build a really lame, slow undercover police car, but im sure you're more aware of that side of things :)

This mod would also be helpful when flashing people to let them out of junctions, etc. Quite often people don't see the flash from dip to full (guess it looks like you hit a bump) so I tend to flash my fogs instead... having both would be great. Also more visibile when flashing in daylight as there is even more light.

Going to watch this topic :)

I think 106 Gtis flash fogs and main beam when you flash and also come on when main beam is selected.they can be turned on independently as well.if your can get electrical manual drawings for that it may give you the answer