rear left tyre blew out at 70

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar

Reaction score
went sideways and snapped it back and controlled the braking. stopped and checked my tyre (picture tomorrow when it's light)

NOT FUN! cars fine :D even the paint on the wheels fine, only one small chip. score right :D !

it's really hard to not say that i absolutely shat myself. not many other ways could describe the sensation lol

lucky escape for you there, glad you're ok..

had it happen to me on two occasions with toyo tyres at motorway speeds. on one the sidewall burst all the way around the tyre..
486451_10152023940345554_1942471763_n.jpg

Glad you (both) escaped without any damage after the drama.

Unless its from hitting a brick or deep pothole, your more likely to get a puncture on the rear as things like screws and nails can get flicked up by the fronts and can be left momentarily sticking up, just in time for the rear tyre to land on it. Also, lots of people neglect the rears and they can be many years older than the fronts.

Ive had five rear punctures that I can remember one of which may have been a pothole in the 133, the rest being nails. But only one front which was from hitting a rock.

Sidewalls don't last very long when deflated

mine were both on fronts. tyres were kept inflated at all times as I try to get as good mpg as I can.. Have a feeling that toyo's don't have particularly strong sidewalls..

Best for sidewall strength I've seen were the dunlop DZ03's. Once got a slow puncture in a set of them and was a fluke that noticed it as at 10psi it still looked fully inflated

Kam Racing":3km9wk76 said:
mine were both on fronts. tyres were kept inflated at all times as I try to get as good mpg as I can.. Have a feeling that toyo's don't have particularly strong sidewalls..

Best for sidewall strength I've seen were the dunlop DZ03's. Once got a slow puncture in a set of them and was a fluke that noticed it as at 10psi it still looked fully inflated

The worst are run flats when someone comes into my work with the run flat indicator light on you gotta go on a little mission to find the cause haha all the tyres just look inflated haha

Kam Racing":1j1b6z4a said:

I believe the Toyo T1R is one of the lighter tyres about. How much of that diet being on the side wall casing ply would be interesting to see.

My front one may have been a T1R (orT1S) as I ran toyos for a while on the MR2. However hitting a stone big enough to crack the rim wasnt entirely fair on the tyre.

it's fine brad. just lucky it was a rear and not the front. the tread came clean off the wheel it would appear, as it's a 1,300 mile old tyre fitted two months ago and always kept at the correct pressures. i'm not one to hold grudges though, these things happen sometimes. it was a toyo t1r

oscar":28drg631 said:
it's fine brad. just lucky it was a rear and not the front. the tread came clean off the wheel it would appear, as it's a 1,300 mile old tyre fitted two months ago and always kept at the correct pressures. i'm not one to hold grudges though, these things happen sometimes. it was a toyo t1r
Is there anyway of complaining and getting it replaced or is it a replace and be done with it job?

i'm not sure, i'd hazard a guess and say you probably could complain to toyo for almost killing you haha but i've not got a clue how the tyre failed and to be honest i'm not really interested it's too much effort to go down that route i say :D

Could of been anything you'll never know I guess! You put a brand new tyre on a car go down the road and it blow up! Probably unlikely but there's always a possibility nothing is every promised

As far as I know, tyres are guaranteed against structural failures for 5 years.
(Well thats what the guy at E.T.S tyres told me a few months ago - I had 6yr old rear tyres on!)

I got 2 rear tyres replaced on my Type R because I wasn't happy with the tread cracking and they'd been on 2 years.

Pleased to hear you came out unscathed Oscar.