Nurburgring!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotth133

Reaction score
Hi people,

Me and a few others are thinking about driving to nurburgring and doing 4 laps for 95€, just wanted to know off of others if its worth it and what other costs i should look at spending all in all. Trackday insurance etc..?

Thanks

Only you will know if it's worthwhile or not. I used to reckon on a long weekend at the 'ring costing me about £1k once everything had been taken into account - and that's without insurance cover on the track. The quietest times to be there are early in the morning, or last thing in the evening, and during the week, rather than at weekends. Accidents will close the track, and so you may not even manage to do four laps in a day.
If I use the track there again, I will do it as an organised track day, which costs about £500 for the day.

I loved every min of the two trips i have done. Will def be going again.

As stated though be prepared for closures. Last time i went i only managed 4 laps over two days.

As i got there almost weekly when the sun is around, I can give you some answers.

Best days to go for a free track : during the week, or Fridays, even though most Saturdays are still quiet.
Try to avoid the big holiday weekends, Easter, summer, etc, as there will be a lot of your fellas from Uk going down to the Ring at the same time, and that means everybody absolutely wants to make the weekend worth it, everybody drives like nuts, most crash, some die, and the weekend turns to shit.

Doing 4 laps in a day is easy, as long as you don't spend 3hrs wandering around on the parking lot (which I can understand given the cars which are there!) between every lap.

On a big day, I achieve to cover 27 laps, juste to give you an idea.

The cost of the laps, you know. Inculde some food, fuel, boat, etc for the trip, maybe a hotel (gastehaus) around the Ring.

Have a look if your insurance includes tracks, but anyway the Nurburgring is classified as a toll road, and that's what it says on the paper if you crash, not "closed racetrack". So in case of a crash, the insurance might be a bit of a handful but they will have to cover you anyway as it is a Tourist Day after all. That doesn't apply for organised trackdays where you are officially on a closed racetrack. BIG difference here.

Well, That's what I can tell you so far, if you have questions, don't hesitate.

as yotah said, most uk insurance companies say in the fine print no track days but also say this included teh nurburgring nordschliefe, so just be careful on that front

It is highly probable that the Nurburgring will be a specific exclusion on your policy, allong with the usual racing, tracks, etc. Just incase your tempted to wing it and hope you don't crash, it can be rather expensive even discounting damage to vehicles and people

Yotah1":1ypurc3a said:
I had to pay 2000€ for the track cleaning and barrier fixing (6 meters to replace), no closure however. I got lucky as I lost the rear at 175 kph and hit both sides of the track!

If you guys planning this then you're probaly will be driving through Belgium which means I have no choice but to do this as well.

I'm really planning on going to the ring anyway with my dad (you know, father and son moment) + so we can split the costs :p

Yotah is you man to chat to.

I didn't get insurance as i got turned down. So i took a credit card with a 5k limit just in case bad stuff happens.

Watch out for angry brits on bikes that can't under stand why your faster and attempt stupid under or over takes to gain back some pride.

weebob":3g3ha4dd said:
Yotah is you man to chat to.

I didn't get insurance as i got turned down. So i took a credit card with a 5k limit just in case bad stuff happens.

Watch out for angry brits on bikes that can't under stand why your faster and attempt stupid under or over takes to gain back some pride.

yer when i was there, a biker was all over the place and then overtook us then slowed right down for a corner, i dont know how we didnt hit him, we got out the car afterwards and expects to see rubber marks on the front, it was that close. what an idiot

I went for the weekend (last year) and it cost me £1k for everything

i went with 2 other people in one car and that cost around 350 each for 3 nights, ferry, fuel, track, food, accomodation and a few laps of the gokart track.

My mate wants me to go with him, I cant be bothered till i get my twingo, The kalos probably wouldent make it there let alone a lap of the track. while he was orginising it we factored in about £800 to £1K for him taking his golf GTi. Not the kind of outlay i can make wile changing cars.